Frequently asked questions

Q) What is your School Office?

your School Office is now your place to go for any queries you have during your time at London Met. Previously this was the Student Hub but we are now moving to having sepcific offices for your school. We hope that this speed up any issues you have whilst you are studying with us and please know that all the services you have accessed via the Student Hub will still be avaialble through your School Office.

We will add more information as soon as possible about your School Office.

Q) How do I contact my School Office?

Each School Office has their own individual email address

School of Art, Architecture and Design - aad@londonmet.ac.uk

Guildhall School of Business and Law - gsbl@londonmet.ac.uk 

School of Computing and Digital Media - scdm@londonmet.ac.uk 

School of Human Sciences - shsc@londonmet.ac.uk 

School of Social Professions - sspr@londonmet.ac.uk 

School of Social Sciences - sssc@londonmet.ac.uk 

Q) I'm not sure which school I am in, how do I find out?

There are two ways to find out:

1. Going to the course catalogue, searching for your course and on your course page and clicking on the "Course Specification" tab.
  2. Log in to eVision and on the Welcome page you should see the school you are registered with

Q) What does my progression decision mean?

• PP (Pass ProgressAt least 90 credits passed and at least 120 credits completed. All required modules identified as 'must pass' in the Course Specification passed.
    • You will now progress on to your next academic year
  • PR (Conditional ProgressionAt least 60 credits passed and at least 120 credits completed. All required modules identified as 'must pass' in the Course Specification passed.
    • You will now progress on to your next academic year. Please note that you will have to re-take any failed modules (maximum of 30 credits).
  • RL (Remain at Level) Cannot progress as PR but at least 30 credits passed.
    • You will not progress on to your next academic year and will need to repeat your failed modules.
  • FD (Fail Discontinue)You have passed less than 30 credits
    • Student’s status shall be terminated (Fail Discontinue) unless evidence through mitigating circumstances procedures or a review of academic performance confirms that deferred assessment or further opportunities to repeat should be available.
    • To appeal this progression please complete an appeal form and send to your the Casework team (casework@londonmet.ac.uk)

If you are a student with a PR or RL progression desicision and would like to change your modules you will first need approval from your Course Leader. The School Office would need to see an email from the Course Leader confirming any changes. If you are contacting your Course Leader you can CC your School Office (schooloffice@londonmet.ac.uk) so that we are aware of any decisions.

Q) What is 'fitness to study'?

The Fitness to Study Regulations is intended as a framework to be used by staff when a student’s ability to progress academically and function at university appears to be detrimentally affected by their health or other circumstances. 

Q) How do I appeal a decision against me?

If you are unhappy with the decision you are allowed to appeal.

Part-time student module registration;

Returning students who have passed all modules will receive an email to their London Met account providing instructions on how to register your modules. 

You should refer to the course catalogue which provides details of the modules you can take on your course.  

If you would like to transfer to a different degree then you can complete a course transfer. In order to do this you will need to do the following:

1. Speak with the course leader of the course you wish to transfer to. They will discuss with you whther it is possible, which year you can enter in to, and which modules you will need to be registered on.
  2. Speak with our Student Money Advisors to discuss how to change your course with Studnet Finance and that you have enough funding to complte the course. You can book an appoinment here
  3. If you have a Tier 4 visa then you will need to speak with our International Advisers (visa.compliance@londonmet.ac.uk) to ensure your visa can be amended
  4. Finally, you will need to complete this form and have it approved by the new course leader (and the International team if necessary)

If you have any questions please email your School Office

The mitigating circumstances process is designed to assist students who have been affected by mitigating circumstances during their studies.

Regulations regarding mitigating circumstances can be found in Section 7 of the General Student Regulations.

Q) I feel like giving up… I am not getting any help

The Student Liaison Team provides advice and assistance to students who experience challenges – whether personal or professional – to help you get the support you need to succeed in your studies.

They can provide information and advice relating to academic and personal support available at London Met, as well as support services in your local area. They also provide coaching & mentoring to help you get back on track to achieve your goals.

If you are struggling with your studies, or there are circumstances hindering you from doing your best here at London Met, you can contact your School Office

Q) Who can I talk to about academic advice?

You can speak with a number of people in the University, these include your course and module leaders, Academic Mentors or the Academic Liaison Librarians.

Q) Can I change my seminar group?

A) Any request to change group will require authorisation from the module leader who should email your School Office directly. Group changes are not permitted after the second week of teaching unless there is a clash with another module.

Full time undergraduate student 

As a full time undergraduate student, the maximum credits you can be registered for in one academic year is 120 credits. Additional credits cannot clash with any existing modules registered.
When choosing an additional module be sure to check that the module does not clash with your current modules. 

Part time undergraduate student

As a part time undergraduate student, the maximum credits you can be registered for in one academic year is 90 credits.

As a part time postgraduate student, the maximum credits you can be registered for in one academic year is 120.

Any amount above these will result in your mode of attendance changing to full time.

Returning student 

If you are a returning student and your progression decision is to remain at current level (RL), you cannot add additional modules to change your mode of attendance.  

Q) How do I apply for the Hardship Fund?

A)  You can apply for the hardship fund by providing all required evidence.

Q) When and where can I hand in the Hardship Fund Application?

Completed forms can be submitted via email to your School Office.

Q) Student Finance England (SFE) have confirmed over the phone that I will receive funding shortly, what do I do?

Please speak with our Student Money and Accommodation Advice team so they can confirm this with SFE by either attending a drop in session or by booking an appointment.

Q) SFE have sent me written confirmation of my funding, where do I send this?

You can send a copy of your confirmation via email to our Income Collection team: incomecollection@londonmet.ac.uk 

Q) I am still waiting for SFE to confirm my funding, what should I do?

You will need to arrange a payment plan with our Income Collection team: incomecollection@londonmet.ac.uk

Q) I haven't received my student loan, when will I receive it?

The Student Loans Company (SLC) release your first tuition fee loan payment after we confirm that you are fully enrolled with the University. We normally notify the SLC on the day of your enrolment and the payment then takes three working days to arrive in your bank account. If you enrolled/ re-enrolled  prior to the start of the academic year then you will receive your payment on the first day of term.

If you are still experiencing issues please contact our Fees team: feequery@londonmet.ac.uk.
If you have yet to apply for for student finance and need support please book an appointment with our Student Money and Accommodation Advice Team

Q) How do I apply for student finance?

A) You can find more information about student loans on the London Met website (including tuition fees and maintenance).

You can also find guidance through the student finance section on the government website.  

Q) I haven’t received my student finance decision yet. What should I do?

A) Student finance can take a while to provide a decision – we would advise you to contact them should you urgently require an update.

Q) The Student Loan Company are now paying for my fees, how can I update this?

A) If you are now in receipt of a tuition fee loan, Student Finance will let the university know directly.

Q) Why have I not received my student finance support?

A) There could be a variety of reasons which could be;  

1. Have you been fully approved for your support as it can take up to 6 weeks to be approved? -  Once you have been approved you will receive a Notification of Entitlement letter explaining your funding

2Are you fully enrolled at London Met for the current academic year? - London Met are unable to confirm your attendance for student finance until you are fully enrolled. When you are fully enrolled confirmation will be sent that day.

3.Does the Student Loans Company have your bank details? You can update your bank details online. You can do this by logging into your student finance account and clicking on ‘Update My Profile’.

4Does the Student Loan Company have your national insurance number? Your loan cannot be paid until your national insurance number is checked with HMRC, this can take up to a week after your application is approved. 

Q) Where can I get financial advice?

A) The Student Money and Accommodation Advice team provides confidential, face-to-face drop-in sessions and appointments on a range of issues from undergraduate and postgraduate funding for Home and EU students, to accommodation in student halls and private rented accommodation in London.

They offer support with making your funding application to Student Finance England or its non-UK team, and advice and help with resolving any difficulties you might have in the process with Student Finance England.

They also provide funding advice if you are considering changing, suspending, or leaving your course, and support in liaising with other University teams, for example, the Student Fees Office and the Income Section.

During the summer vacation, advisers are available for appointments at various times Monday to Friday, at Holloway Road Learning Centre and at Aldgate. You can now book an appointment with a Student Money and Accommodation Adviser online.  

Q) What are the tuition fees for next year ?

A) If you are a returning student, your fee will be displayed on evision when you complete your re-enrolment. If you have any further queries, please contact the Fees team (feequery@londonmet.ac.uk) quoting your student number at all times.

Q) What are the university details to pay by bank transfer?

A) The University can be paid easily using a bank transfer

Q) How do I change my name or other personal details on my record?

A) This can be done for you by staff in your School Office. Evidence in the form of a marriage certificate, current and valid passport, or a deed poll certificate will be required before any changes can be made.

Q) I need to take a break from my course, how do I do that?

You can either take a break prior to restarting the year or part way through an academic year by completing a ‘Taking a Break’ form.

We are happy to accept advice received from SMAA, your course leader and International Advice via email rather than them completing and signing the form.

Forms:

Taking a break prior to enrolment

Taking a break once enrolled

Q) How do I withdraw from the University?

A) You need to formally confirm your intention to withdraw from the University by completing the withdrawal request on your Evision account. You can find the withdrawal request within the My Progress section of Evision.

Forms:

Withdrawal form

Q) How do I cancel my studies?

You have the right to cancel your contract with the University within 14 days without giving any reason. The cancellation period will expire after 14 days from the day of the conclusion of the contract (that is the day you accept our offer of a place to study). 

Q) How do I make a complaint?

If you feel that you have not received the service expected or you have been unable to get an issue resolved then you may want to consider the complaints procedure

Q) I have a new job, how do I get a reference?

Standard Reference

your School Office can provide your new employer with a standard reference. Your new employer would need to contact your School Office. To provide this reference we would also require your consent to share your information.

A standard reference includes the following information:

• Personal details such as name and date of birth
  • Degree studied
  • Dates studied
  • Degree result (if applicable)

Academic Reference

If your new employer requires more detailed information regarding more specific information such as your abilities or skills then you would need to contact an academic member of staff who can comment on this. Often this will be either your course or module leader(s). If you are unsure of their contact details then please contact your School Office (schooloffice@londonmet.ac.uk).
Please note that on occasion an academic who taught you or knew you well may have left London Metropolitan, in this case your School Office will try and hep you find an alternative member of staff who can support otherwise we can produce a standard reference.

Our IT team can support many of your tech queries from downloading Microsoft Office to accessing virtual PCS

Q) I need a new ID card ?

A) Replacement ID cards can be purchased through the eshop using the link here. Please bring your receipt to your School Office and we can print you a new one. Whilst the university is working solely online this will not be available until we are back on campus.

If your card has been stolen, you can report it to the police and once you receive a Crime Reference Number we will issue you with a new card free of charge.

Q) My ID card isn't working?

A) This could be due to several reasons please come into your School Office and we can explore this with you. Our opening times are Monday - Friday 9.30am to 5pm. Whilst the University is working solely online this will not be available until we are back on campus.

Q) I found my old ID card, can I have a refund for my new card?

Refunds will normally be given if you find your old ID card and inform your School Office within 2 weeks of purchasing your new ID card.  No refunds will be made after this period.

Q) How do I apply for a Student Oyster card?

A) If you are a full time student you may be eligible for a Student Oyster card. Eligible students can save 30% on adult-rate Travelcards and Bus & Tram Pass season tickets.

When you start the application you will need to create a web account. You will also need to provide a digital photo for your Student Oyster card which you can upload online. Your Student Oyster card will be sent to you once the University has approved your application.

We strongly advise that you read the terms and conditions before making your application. 

Q) Why has my Student Oyster card been canceled?

A) If your Student Oyster card has been cancelled it may be because you no longer meet the eligibility criteria. You may have graduated from University or you may no longer be studying on a full-time basis. Students who are concerned about any cancellations can contact their School Office. 

Our Admissions team are here to help you get on to a course with London Met and can be emailed via applicationupdate@londonmet.ac.uk 

chat loading...