Overseas exchange

The University has a range of links with institutions that may enable you to spend part of your course overseas. Studying in another country gives you a fantastic experience and looks great on your CV when you graduate.

We have exchange agreements with universities in Europe, the USA, Japan and the West Indies. There are restrictions according to degree subject, although some links are not subject-specific. Exchanges may be for one semester or a full academic year, depending on the places available at the host institution.

Credits and grades are transferable from all partner institutions and the grade conversion charts for all countries are shown in the academic regulations. If your core modules are year-long then you will have to combine placements abroad or find a partner where you can spend the whole duration in order to stay away for a year. 

The overseas exchange programme at London Metropolitan University is run by the Study Abroad Office which is based at Holloway campus.

Who can apply?

Students who:

  • are on a full-time undergraduate degree programme
  • will be in their second year during the exchange period
  • have the option to take one semester modules as part of their degree or can find a suitable destination (or two) for an academic year away
  • maintain a B grade average
  • can plan a flexible programme of study that covers the equivalent of their intermediate level core modules to a sufficient extent to have the prerequisites for study on their return
  • are not on a course that requires all modules to be taken at London Met such as LLB Law, BA Accounting and Finance, BSc Psychology or any course where you gain professional accreditation or exemptions

Please note that there are some restrictions by degree subject - usually host institution-specific. More information can be seen on each partner information page.

Where can I go?

You can apply to go to any institution with which we have a bilateral exchange link, provided your degree is appropriate. Please see our partner universities section for information about each of our links. Many of our exchanges are in the United States and are not subject-specific whereas our European partners are largely for students from certain degree courses.

When can I go?

  • In the second year of your course
  • Spring semester is only possible in the USA and West Indies if your course has no examinations in January, you must have coursework only due to term dates

For how long can I go?

  • The length of your overseas exchange will depend on finding sufficient suitable modules for your course, and the number of places available at the host institution
  • If any of your London Met core modules are year-long then you would have to be on exchange for the whole academic year as you could not leave or return halfway through

Will my exchange grades count towards my degree?

Credits and grades are returned from every partner, using the grade conversion tables posted in the academic regulations. Provided you plan your programme carefully, study for the correct amount of credits and pass your classes, your exchange will not extend your degree or affect the class of degree gained. 

How do the finances work?

  • Students continue to pay tuition fees to London Metropolitan University (reduced for Home students who study abroad for an academic year)
  • No tuition fees are payable to the host university
  • Students should still receive any loans and grants as the exchange is a part of the degree, although you might receive a lower amount of maintenance from Student Finance England than if you are living away from home in London (see SFE website for more details)
  • Students are responsible for the following costs:
    • English (or other language) test fees (if TOEFL or IELTS requirements apply, see partner information)
    • visa application fees if required
    • room & board
    • books and supplies
    • travel to and from host country
    • travel, health and medical insurance if specific insurance is required by the partner to be taken out (London Met insurance is not charged for)
    • personal expenditure 

    Students generally find that the exchange semester is not much more expensive than a semester spent in London, and sometimes cheaper. You may also receive a Turing grant for the time you are away, in the region of 335 GBP to 380 GBP per month, depending on your destination, plus help with visa costs. If you receive a grant from Student Finance England then make sure you apply for their Travel Grant, if you are eligible, although you cannot have funding from both Turing and the Travel Grant for the same thing (e.g. flights, visa fees) so you need to find out which would be better for you.

How do I get started?

    • Check with your course leader whether an exchange would be possible as part of your degree course 
    • Research our partner universities - you must find one which offers courses suitable for your degree
    • Think about finances - will this work for you?
    • If you wish, request an appointment via email (studyabroad@londonmet.ac.uk). Make sure you have done some preliminary research first.
    • If you have the support of your tutor - apply!

Do your research when it comes to modules and courses

  • Find out what the requirements are for your London Met course, i.e. what core modules you need to find matches for, what electives you can take, whether you can switch core modules around to take advantage of what is on offer at a partner university.
  • Search the content of the courses at the partner universities and identify those courses that you think match the modules you need to take for your degree. Then take these descriptions (as many as possible) to your academic advisor to discuss which of them is the best fit.
  • You must achieve the correct amount of credits overseas in order to progress at London Met, otherwise you may find you have to take an extra class in your final year. 

Will it match exactly?

All universities have slightly different courses with slightly different modules/classes and routes through the degrees. In another country, things will be different. Our links are very broad so we cannot promise that all (or in some cases any) of our partners will have a perfect match for your course. You need to look for classes that are a good fit for London Met modules. Think about keywords that describe what is covered in your modules, do not expect classes to have exactly the same title or even the department to have the same name. Be creative in your searches and you will have more chance of finding something that fits.

Be flexible

The key to a successful exchange is flexibility. It might not be possible to get into your first choice modules so you need to have valid alternatives. If there is only one way to achieve your core modules, you might have problems. Many students try to take as many electives as possible during their semester abroad so that they can take advantage of the interesting classes on offer, but that will depend on when you can take your core modules in London.

This is a list of our overseas exchange partnerships. Note that there are some restrictions, particularly by subject, in place for some exchanges, so be sure to read the information carefully. You need to be fluent in French to study at Bordeaux or Savoy.

Don't just look at one university, research them all to find your best fit.

North America

Canisius College - Buffalo, New York

Roosevelt University - Chicago, Illinois

San Francisco State University - San Francisco, California

State University of New York at Cortland - Cortland, New York

Loyola University New Orleans - New Orleans, Louisiana

West Indies

The University of the West Indies:

Cave Hill, Barbados

Mona, Jamaica

St Augustine, Trinidad


Kansai Gaidai University - Osaka


Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences - The Netherlands (Business students)

Copenhagen Business School - Denmark (Business students)

Wroclaw University - Poland (International Relations / Politics students)

Istanbul Bilgi University - Turkey (Business or International Relations / Politics students)

Bilkent University - Turkey (International Relations / Politics students)

Sciences Po Bordeaux - France (International Relations / Politics students)

IESEG School of Management - Paris or Lille, France (Business students)

University of Savoy - France (Tourism, Leisure and Hospitality students)

EAE Business School - Barcelona, Spain (Business students)

Step 1

To avoid extending your degree, you must obtain approval from your academic advisor that the semester abroad will fit into your degree structure.

While you are away, you must cover the equivalent of the intermediate level core modules to a sufficient extent to have the prerequisites for study on your return.

This stage is very important. If you don't have flexibility in what you can study at your proposed host, you will have difficulties further along the process, up to and including registration for classes at your host university.

Step 2

Complete the Exchange application form . This should be filled in electronically then emailed to us.

Only complete applications will be accepted and they need to be signed by the applicant and all relevant people, including the course tutor. Completed application forms should be submitted to the Study Abroad office (studyabroad@londonmet.ac.uk) and should list the first and second choice of the host university.


For the autumn semester abroad: 1 March

For the spring semester abroad: 15 October

Step 3

Where appropriate, students will be conditionally accepted (subject to meeting grade requirements) on the programme and sent the partner application form to prepare. Conditional acceptance depends upon the number of places available with each partner. This number varies and cannot be predicted in advance.

Step 4

London Met grades are published and students who meet the conditions are contacted by the Study Abroad Office.

If there are more suitable applicants than places available, places will be given according to the date of receipt and academic strength. If we are unable to place eligible students with their first choice, we will try to make their second choice possible.

The application that you've prepared is checked by us and sent to our partner institution. Only complete applications will be sent. You must meet the deadline set by the partner institution. The host institution has the final decision regarding your exchange place.

Step 5

Once our partner has confirmed your offer, they will send your acceptance packet. You can start thinking about visas, flights and more. Go to our accepted students section for further information.

You will receive programme information and immigration documents from your host university.

NOTE: If you decide to withdraw from the programme at any stage, please let us know. Immigration documents must be returned to the host institution if you withdraw from the programme.

Update your student record to show semester abroad

Make sure your student loan is properly organised and, if possible, arrange early payment. Normally SFE requires a confirmation from us that this exchange period is a part of your degree. We can provide this - just ask! If you are a Home student (not International) studying abroad for the whole academic year, then your tution fee will be capped at 1,350 GBP for the year you are away.

For the semester/year you are abroad you will be registered for the module code ABROAD. You must withdraw from any London Met modules for the time you are overseas.

You must also register modules for the second semester of the year (if you are returning to London Met for spring) before you leave. You will get the chance to change these later but you must register a full-time course load in advance.

Apply for a visa

You should always check the embassy websites for the most up to date information.


Check whether your host has F1 or J1 sponsor status. You must apply for the correct visa. You cannot apply until you have received your immigration document from your host. You will have to make an appointment with the US Embassy to have your visa interview.

You need to thoroughly read the information available to you online, including the information provided by your host institution.


Application fee: $185
SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) fee: $350


Application fee: $185

SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) fee: $220

Have a look at this helpful guide to the visa interview process on YouTube.


All students accepted onto the programme must apply for student visas in their home countries/country of domicile. To do so, it is necessary to obtain certificates of eligibility, which will enable them to apply for student visas.

Please note that because the certificate of eligibility is valid for only three months from the date of issuance and it becomes invalid if the application is not filed within that period, Kansai Gaidai is not able to apply for it very far in advance. Therefore you should expect to receive your certificate of eligibility within the three-month period before the beginning of the semester.

Progress on immigration procedures can be retrieved from K-GENESYS which is the application portal for Kansai Gaidai.

The best source of information on applying for your visa is on the Kansai Gaidai website.

Please also see the Embassy of Japan in London website for how to apply for your visa.

WEST INDIES - Barbados

Students need to have passports valid for the length of the exchange programme. Non-Barbadian students must obtain a student visa. On acceptance of the offer of a place, you are required to return all required documentation for the processing of the visa to begin before arrival into the island at the start of the semester. Please note also that a return ticket is required when travelling.

To comply with the immigration requirements new students must submit the completed application forms (H-1 and H-2) along with:

1. One (1) passport size photograph for new students and continuing students (must be wearing a top with sleeves)

2. Proof of accommodation

3. Proof of financial support (which must be submitted along with your offer letter to the Admissions Office before you arrive in Barbados). Ensure you have copies for Barbados Immigration officials who may request them.

4. A clean clear copy of your Birth Certificate, and (if your Birth Certificate is not in English, an English translation must accompany same.)

5. A clean clear copy of the bio data page of your passport

6. Application fee of BBD 300.00* (US$150.00)

Organise your accommodation, flights and insurance

Some programmes will offer accommodation and meal plans and some will have mandatory health insurance plans - details are on the partner pages.

You must get full health and travel insurance for the entire period of your exchange. This is VERY important! You can apply for free cover under the university travel insurance.

Register for modules with the partner. Many partners will require you to do online registration towards the end of the summer. They will send you information about this.

Keep in touch with the Study Abroad Office. We'll be emailing you reminders and messages so let us know how everything is going. If you need help, if your contact details change or if you decide not to take part any more - let us know!

Keep receipts for everything you pay for relating to your journey overseas: visas, travel to the embassy, passports, flights, travel to the airport and to your accommodation on the other side. You may be able to claim for these costs either from Turing money or from the SFE Travel Grant.

Arrival and departure certificates

Once you arrive at the university you must send us your completed arrival certificate as soon as possible. This should be signed and stamped by an officer at your host university and is to provide proof that you are fully enrolled overseas.

Download certificate now: Certificate of Arrival and Departure

Before leaving, you must also get the departure section signed off.

Learning agreement

Some universities allow you to preregister modules before you arrive, others register you during orientation week. Regardless, once you have finalised your class selection you must complete and return to us your learning agreement. If you do not, then your credit transfer may be compromised

Download learning agreement now: Final Learning Agreement

London Metropolitan University re-enrolment

As you continue to be a student of the university during your exchange period abroad, you must re-enrol for the new academic year. The university will email you to remind you exactly when re-enrolment becomes available online.

You access the re-enrolment via Evision. After logging in, select 'My enrolment' from the navigation bar, then follow the links.

NOTE: to re-enrol successfully you must have registered modules with the university for the entire academic year (see Accepted students for more details) and have satisfactory fee status.


Some host universities will send out your transcript automatically, in others you must request them before you go. Make sure you know how it works at your host university. Look at the partner website or the international office of your host to confirm. Ensure that the Study Abroad Office receives a copy of your transcript so we can send it to Assessments.

Your overseas modules and results will be listed separately on Evision, under the section 'Credit Awarded for Prior Learning.'

If you want extra copies of your transcript (we use the original in our university records) you must request these especially while you are still abroad.

Modules for your next semester

Make sure you have finalised the modules that you intend to take when you return for the next semester at London Metropolitan University. 

After you return

Check that we have received your transcript of results and that everything is going smoothly.

Impress all your friends with tall tales of your adventures overseas, and maybe volunteer to help us encourage more students to study abroad in the future.

Continuing the experience

If you have enjoyed your semester abroad and would like to continue the experience on your return to London Met, get in touch with the Study Abroad Office. We would be happy to put you in contact with newly arrived exchange students who would be interested in meeting you and getting your advice as they settle into life in London and at London Met.

The Fulbright Commission

The Fulbright Commission offers the only bi-national transatlantic academic awards programme between the US and the UK.

It offers scholarship awards and summer programmes for UK citizens to study, lecture or research in the US. It also is a valuable source of information about Studying in the US, both on full degree programmes and short term study abroad. The pre-departure pages will be particularly useful for outgoing exchange students!

Education USA

The Fulbright Commission is part of the Education USA partnership.

Education USA is the U.S. Government source on higher education opportunities in the USA. Their website has good resources about preparing for your visa, finances and more.


British Universities Transnational Exchange is a membership organisation with an elected executive committee. Their mission is to promote British education internationally, to facilitate collaboration and regular exchange of information between their members, to develop expertise and to influence the future of international education.

Their scholarship competition is open to all undergraduate students who are affiliated to a BUTEX Full Member institution and complete at least one semester of study abroad. The value of each scholarship is 500 GBP and will be paid to the winners once they have arrived and registered at their host university.

You may be affiliated as an incoming or an outgoing study abroad student.

To be eligible to apply:

  • You must have been offered a study abroad or exchange place or have already completed it during the current calendar year.
  • You are an outgoing student from or an incoming student to a BUTEX member institution.
  • Your place must be for either one semester or one year.

Provisions of the award

Applicants are not permitted to submit more than one entry which can be a vlog, poster or a creative writing piece. Also remember to check that the study abroad placement is eligible for this award.

By entering the BUTEX scholarship competition applicants agree to the BUTEX Administrator contacting their BUTEX institution to confirm registration at the host institution. If awarded a scholarship, you agree to provide a photograph of yourself together with a short statement about the benefits of studying abroad. Please note, this may be used by BUTEX for future publicity. Winners will be notified by the end of October.

Only successful applicants will be notified. The decision of the BUTEX selection committee is final and BUTEX will not correspond with unsuccessful applicants.

Applications for 2024 will be open from 16th May - 10th July 2024


JASSO offers a scholarship for qualified international students accepted by Japanese universities or graduate schools under the student exchange agreement on a short-term basis from about three months to one year. However, students receiving more than 80,000 JPY per month (around 422 GBP) in total from other scholarships for study in Japan are ineligible for this scholarship. Therefore, if you receive Turing funding for your time abroad you will not be able to apply for the JASSO funding.


If you fancy working or volunteering abroad over the summer, try BUNAC. They have a wide range of opportunities available.

chat loading...