Student Money and Accommodation

Two people discussing matters in a meeting.

The Student Money and Accommodation Advice team provides information, advice and guidance on undergraduate and postgraduate funding for Home students, and on accommodation for all our students.
We can help you:

  • Make your funding application to Student Finance England
  • Resolve problems with your funding application
  • Find other avenues of funding
  • Understand the funding implications of changing, suspending or withdrawing from your course
  • Find accommodation in London

If you have any queries about the fees you have been charged, or if you need a change of circumstances notice and/or attendance/registration confirmation sent to Student Finance England, please contact the University's Fee and Funding team –

If you need to set up a fee payment plan, please contact the University's Income Collection team – 

Matrix logo

Student Services aims to offer the very best support and so we are keen to hear from students to help us better understand what you would like Student Services to look like and provide in the future. Please take the time to read and complete the Student Services Survey.

Will the Student Money and Accommodation Advice team still be available to support me while the University buildings are closed?

Yes, you will be able to book a telephone appointment with our team or contact us via email. For further details please see the section on this page entitled 'Opening times'.

Where can I find contact details for other support teams at London Met?

You should look at our page on Student Support

Will Student Finance England (SFE) still release my next instalment of student funding at the scheduled date?  

SFE has confirmed that payments will be made as normal. Please see this government update

I cannot make my next instalment of Tuition fees, what should I do?  

The Finance team will review students cases on a case by case basis, please email  

Where can I find guidance from the Student Loan Company (SLC) regarding the coronavirus and its effect on funding?

Information from the SLC for current students.
Information from the SLC for prospective students.

Please keep checking these pages as they are regularly updated.

Where can I find information from the Department for Education about the effect of coronavirus on my studies?

A COVID-19 FAQ page can be found on the Department for Education's media blog.

Should I still make my funding application to Student Finance England for 2021/22?

Yes, if you are a continuing student you should reapply for next year's student finance before 25 June. If you are a new student you should submit your application before 21 May 2020. You don't need a confirmed place on a course to apply, you can use your first choice of course and update your application later if this changes. More information about student finance.

Where can I calculate what my entitlement to means-tested benefits and Carer's Allowance might be?

There is a benefits calculator on the Turn2Us website.

Where can I find information on measures to support my personal loan/overdraft/credit card payments during the coronavirus?

Information about support for users of credit products is available from the Financial Conduct Authority.

Where can I find advice and practical tips to help with money worries?

Student Space offers advice on money worries, budgeting, dealing with money problems, and seeking extra funding.

What support is available in Hackney?

Please check out the links on Coronavirus in Hackney. Hackney Council's support phone line is available Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm, 020 8356 3111. 

What support is available in Islington?

Please check out the links in the Islington Directory.

Are there any food banks local to the University?

  • Islington foodbank reopened in August and now runs an appointment-based system.
  • The Pilion Trust is a drop-in service based at 60 Lough Rd, N7 8FE. It is open every weekday from 10am - 5pm and you can contact them on 020 7700 2498. 
  • The Andover Community Centre, also known as the Finsbury Park Hub runs a drop-in service called the Surplus Food Project based at Andover Community Centre, Andover Estate, Corker Walk, N7 7RY. It is open from 1.30pm - 5pm every Friday and you can contact them on 020 7272 3493.
  • The Islington branch of SVP offers a home delivery service for food parcels, picking up prescriptions and dog walking, and operates a food bank on Saturdays between 1pm and 2pm at St Joan of Arc Church, 60 Highbury Park, N5 2XH. You can contact them on 07516 690197.

What advice is available for care leavers during and after Covid-19?

The Department for Education has produced a series of factsheets specifically for care leavers to provide further information about the government support that is currently available to you. 

I am currently living in a private student hall of residence, but wish to end my tenancy because of the coronavirus outbreak. Will I be able to be released from my contract early?

You will need to refer to your Hall's tenancy agreement and contact the Hall direct for their policy during this period. Unite Students have recently released the following update with regards to their contracts.

Where can I find guidance on the effect of the coronavirus on private renting?

You can find guidance on and on Shelter.

I'm an international student. Where can I find coronavirus-related accommodation guidance?

You can find coronavirus-related accommodation guidance as well as guidance on other relevant issues on UKCISA.

How will my studies be affected? 

All of your classes will go ahead using online tools from Monday 23 March. You will receive invitations to join a virtual learning environment, such as Collaborate, from your tutors in order to join individual sessions. Your timetable will not change. You will continue to have access to thousands of electronic journals and e-books. In addition, tutors will direct you to alternative reading where appropriate. The same level of support will be available to you but this will now be online. You will continue to have access to everyone in the University who supports your academic and pastoral development.

July 2021: The Student Money and Accommodation Advice team will provide phone appointments only over the summer vacation.

Details about our service's provision in the new academic year will be posted here at the start of September.

All appointment requests for the Student Money and Accommodation Advice team need to be sent to   

Please provide your full name and London Met student ID number in the email subject field.

Include in the email a brief outline of your query and your telephone number. You should also attach to the email any documents that may be related to the query.

The Student Services team can then allocate you to the next available phone appointment, or refer your query to an appropriate University team to answer. 

For all other Student Money and Accommodation Advice team queries please contact

Please note, due to the high volume of emails the service is receiving, it may take longer than normal to reply.  

Please take a look at our accommodation pages for information on external student halls of residence, private rented accommodation, short-stay accommodation, summer accommodation, and landlord services. Alternatively, contact our advice team:

Student Pad:

Useful housing links

Rent calculator

Not sure who is responsible for repairs and maintenance in your rented home? Check out the following guidance from Shelter.

Shelter also provides information on how to check if your tenancy deposit is protected, as well as on how to proceed if your landlord doesn't refund your deposit at the end of your tenancy.  

Local support

Crisis Skylight

Tower Hamlets Food Bank

Toynbee Hall

Whitechapel Mission

London Met is pleased to offer a Care Leaver Bursary of £1,500 for each progressive year of your undergraduate degree (full-time students only). This is intended to help towards accommodation set-up costs and basic living expenses.

Applications are automatically processed by Student Finance England. Please email for further details.

London Met is also one of a small number of universities whose students are eligible to apply for a Unite Foundation Scholarship Scheme, which can provide care leavers with three years of free student accommodation. 

We will also help to check if you're eligible for additional financial help from external sources.

If you'd like to know more about the range of help available to you, please contact Daniel McEvoy (Holloway) on

London Met is committed to supporting estranged students during their time at university.

1. Do I qualify as an estranged student (for independent student status)?

Following the Student Finance England definition, a student might be defined as estranged if they can show they have little or no contact with their biological or adoptive parents and they receive no physical or financial support from them either.

To qualify for independent status through estrangement, the student will need to prove the lack of contact with their parents is permanent. We would normally expect the student to have had no contact with their parents for at least 12 months, although this may not apply in exceptional circumstances.

If a student wants to apply for independent status because they’re estranged from their parents, they must provide confirmation from a professional person, outside their family, who knows about their circumstances. That person must fill out an Estrangement Declaration form, which you can download from Student Finance England.

2. Checklist for sending evidence to Student Finance

Provide as many supporting statements as you can but make sure at least one of the statements is from an independent person with good standing in the community, who has known you for a substantial period of time and is not a relative or family friend.

Examples of evidence students could provide include:

  • a letter from your social worker, if you have one
  • if you claimed income support when you were under 18, a letter from your Jobcentre Plus office showing you were in receipt of benefits because of your situation
  • if your relationship with your parents broke down while you were at school or college, a letter from advice worker, personal tutor or teacher, confirming your circumstances
  • if you’ve visited your doctor because of problems relating to the breakdown of your relationship with your parents, a letter from your doctor to confirm your circumstances

You won’t be able to apply for independent status just because you don’t get on with your parents or because you don’t live with them. Similarly, you won’t automatically be able to apply for independent status because your parents refuse or don’t want to provide details of their income.

3.  Useful links

Buttle UK: Provides thousands of grants to young people in the UK, often when there is no other source of help available to them. One particular grant that might be available to estranged young people is the Students and Trainees Programme.  

Brightside: Has some useful information for students whose parents are unwilling to provide their income details, as well as for estranged students finding it difficult to evidence their independence.

StandAlone: StandAlone is a charity set up to support people who are estranged from their family or children. They have produced a guide for students who are applying for independent status from Student Finance England and Wales.

Turn2Us: A free service that helps people in financial need access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help. Their website has a free and easy to use benefits calculator and grants search. 

Named contact for Estranged Students – Isabel Patrick –

London Met is proud to have EU students as part of our community and we want you to stay.

Apply for EU settled status by 30 June 2021 if you are eligible.

We are committed to helping our EU students to navigate the EU Settlement Scheme.

This is a complex area and Student Services can advise and support you in understanding the regulations and ensure, where possible, that you can continue to access welfare benefits, NHS care and Student Finance.

Please contact if you have any questions about your eligibility or require support with your application under the EU Settlement Scheme.

You are valued members of our London Met community.

Please note: From academic year (19/20) you can apply for the Childcare Grant online, and the grant will be paid directly to your childcare provider. 

At London Met, we understand the extra challenges faced by student parents. We know that balancing your studies alongside the demands of running a family, organising childcare and managing finances may at times feel overwhelming. We're here to offer support and can refer you on to our network of specialist contacts, where necessary.

We can help you with the following:

  • Understanding the 30 hour and 15-hour childcare government requirements
  • Navigating child tax credits and child benefit 
  • Applying for Student Finance England - we can provide a spot check to make sure you are receiving all the grants 
  • Debt referrals
  • Support for understanding welfare benefits (Universal Credit/ Housing Benefit/ Income Support/ Jobseekers' Allowance)
  • Advice on grants, bursaries and hardship funds
  • Referral to our Counselling Team and Academic Support

We also offer quick financial spot checks to make sure you are receiving all the support available for your circumstances.

Our information sheet Students with children   gives a good overview of all the funding available but if you still have questions, you can book an appointment with one of our Student Money and Accommodation Advisers.

Named contact for Student Parents – Susie McLoughlin –

Muslim students and students of other faiths may be reluctant to take out products from the Student Loan Company because of the interest charged on student loans.

Though the UK Government has consulted on developing a possible model Alternative Finance product which would be Sharia-compliant and could potentially be offered alongside traditional loans to students wishing to attend Higher Education, this product is not currently available.

You might seek advice from a faith leader on whether Riba – the paying and receiving of a pre-determined additional payment for profit (usually in the form of interest) is mitigated by the fact that you will not have to repay either loan or interest if your earnings remain under the designated threshold, and that any outstanding balance will be wiped when 30 years (from the April after graduation) have passed.

You might also consider whether the loan can be taken out on the basis that you have no alternative method of paying for your course and will pay it back as soon as possible.

If you decide to take out the Maintenance Loan you might open an account with an Islamic bank and pay the loan into this account.

If you do not take out the Student Loan Company's funding package this may prevent you from receiving other forms of funding. For example, the University’s Hardship Support Fund guidance notes state:

B.5.  Undergraduate, PGCE & Professional Diploma in Architecture students must be in receipt of the full means tested student support funding from Student Finance England (SFE) (i.e. you are in receipt of a student loan), and must take out your maximum student loan entitlement and tuition fee loan to be eligible for the Hardship Support Fund.

If you are entitled to claim income-assessed benefits, the assessment office will consider any student maintenance loan you’re entitled to receive as income regardless of whether you have taken it out or not.

You might find you can receive some financial support from Educational trusts and charities .
chat loading...