Money and financial advice

Two people discussing matters in a meeting.

The Student Money and Accommodation Advice team provides confidential phone appointments on a range of issues from undergraduate and postgraduate funding for Home and EU students, to accommodation in student halls and private rented accommodation in London. We can offer support with making your funding application to Student Finance England or its non-UK team, and advice and help with resolving any difficulties you might have in the process with Student Finance England. We also provide funding advice if you are considering changing, suspending, or leaving your course, and support in liaising with other University teams, for example, the Student Fees Office and the Income Section. 

To book a phone appointment please use our online booking system.

Matrix logo

Will the Student Money and Accommodation Advice team still be available to support me while the University buildings are closed?

Yes, you will be able to book a telephone appointment with our team or contact us via email. For further details please see the section on this page entitled 'Opening times'.

Where can I find contact details for other support teams at London Met?

You should look at our page on Student Support

Will Student Finance England (SFE) still release my next instalment of student funding at the scheduled date?  

SFE have confirmed that payments will be made as normal. Please see this government update

I cannot make my next instalment of Tuition fees, what should I do?  

The Finance team will review students cases on a case by case basis, please email  

Where can I find guidance from the Student Loan Company (SLC) regarding the coronavirus and its effect on funding?

Information from the SLC for current students.
Information from the SLC for prospective students.

Please keep checking these pages as they are regularly updated.

Where can I find information from the Department for Education about the effect of coronavirus on my studies?

A university students and COVID-19 FAQ page can be found on the Department for Education's media blog.

Should I still make my funding application to Student Finance England for 2020/21?

Yes, if you are a continuing student you should reapply for next year's student finance before 19 June. If you are a new student you should submit your application before 22 May 2020. You don't need a confirmed place on a course to apply, you can use your first choice of course and update your application later if this changes. More information about student finance.

Where can I calculate what my entitlement to means-tested benefits and Carer's Allowance might be?

There is a benefits calculator on the Turn2Us website.

I have lost my job and cannot afford to feed myself or my family. Can you help?   

You may be entitled to apply to the Hardship Support Fund. If you have evidence of losing your job or a zero hours contract, please provide evidence of this. You can email (please include your name and student ID number) and request a telephone appointment with one of our advisers if you have any specific questions. 

Can I still make an application to the Hardship Support Fund?

As long as you meet the fund's eligibility criteria, you can still apply. All forms and documents need to be submitted via email to 

Please note, the assessment process might take slightly longer during this period.

My second instalment of the Hardship Support Fund is due to be paid in mid-April, can this be paid any earlier? 

As long as you are still enrolled, payments will be made during the week commencing Monday 30 March. 

I have dependants and am on a zero hours contract / have lost my job / have had my income substantially reduced as a direct result of the coronavirus, is there any other support I can apply for?

You might be eligible for an award from the Emergency Coronavirus Fund.

Where can I find information on measures to support my personal loan / overdraft / credit card payments during the coronavirus?

Information about support for users of credit products is available from the Financial Conduct Authority.

I understand Islington Food Bank is now closed due to coronavirus. What alternative help is available?

  • The Pilion Trust is a drop-in service based at 60 Lough Rd, N7 8FE. It is open every weekday from 10am - 5pm and you can contact them on 020 7700 2498. 
  • The Andover Community Centre, also known as the Finsbury Park Hub runs a drop-in service called the Surplus Food Project based at Andover Community Centre, Andover Estate, Corker Walk, N7 7RY. It is open from 1:30pm - 5pm every Friday and you can contact them on 020 7272 3493.
  • The Islington branch of SVP offers a home delivery service for food parcels, picking up prescriptions and dog walking, and operates a food bank on Saturdays between 1pm and 2pm at St Joan of Arc Church, 60 Highbury Park, N5 2XH. You can contact them on 07516 690197.

What advice is available for care leavers during and after Covid-19?

The Department for Education has produced a series of factsheets specifically for care leavers to provide further information about the government support that is currently available to you. 

I am currently living in a private student hall of residence, but wish to end my tenancy because of the coronavirus outbreak. Will I be able to be released from my contract early?

You will need to refer to your Hall's tenancy agreement and contact the Hall direct for their policy during this period. Unite Students have recently released the following update with regards to their contracts.

Where can I find guidance on the effect of the coronavirus on private renting?

You can find guidance on and on Shelter.

I'm an international student. Where can I find coronavirus-related accommodation guidance?

You can find coronavirus-related accommodation guidance as well as guidance on other relevant issues on UKCISA.

How will my studies be affected? 

All of your classes will go ahead using online tools from Monday 23 March. You will receive invitations to join a virtual learning environment, such as Collaborate, from your tutors in order to join individual sessions. Your timetable will not change. You will continue to have access to thousands of electronic journals and e-books. In addition, tutors will direct you to alternative reading where appropriate. The same level of support will be available to you but this will now be online. You will continue to have access to everyone in the University who supports your academic and pastoral development.

The Student Money and Accommodation Advice team will run appointments via Microsoft Teams while University buildings remain closed. This is a communication tool that can be used to chat using text, audio or video. You can use Microsoft Teams via a web browser ( or by downloading the app. You will need to login to Microsoft Teams using your student email address eg 

Click to book an appointment - depending on which browser you are using you may need to type your postcode into the qudini page to generate the booking links.

Alternatively, you can email your query to the Student Money and Accommodation Advice team: 

Please take a look at our accommodation pages for information on external student halls of residence, private rented accommodation, short stay accommodation, summer accommodation, and landlord services. Alternatively, contact our advice team:

Student Hub: Aldgate +44 (0)20 7133 7002; Holloway +44 (0)20 7133 7001
Student Pad:

Useful housing links

Rent calculator

Not sure who is responsible for repairs and maintenance in your rented home? Check out the following guidance from Shelter.

Shelter also provides information on how to check if your tenancy deposit is protected, as well as on how to proceed if your landlord doesn't refund your deposit at the end of your tenancy.  

Local support

Crisis Skylight

Tower Hamlets Food Bank

Toynbee Hall

Whitechapel Mission

Please note: Next academic year (19/20) you will be able to apply for the Childcare Grant online, and the grant will be paid direct to your childcare provider. 

At London Met, we understand the extra challenges faced by student parents. We know that balancing your studies alongside the demands of running a family, organising childcare and managing finances may at times feel overwhelming. We're here to offer support and can refer you on to our network of specialist contacts, where necessary.

We can help you with the following:

Understanding the 30 hour and 15 hour childcare government requirements

Navigating child tax credits and child benefit 

Applying for Student Finance England - we can provide a spot check to make sure you are receiving all the grants 

Debt referrals

Support understanding welfare benefits (Universal Credit/ Housing Benefit/ Income Support/ Jobseekers' Allowance)

Advice on grants, bursaries and hardship funds

Referral to our Counselling Team and Academic Support

We also offer quick financial spot checks to make sure you are receiving all the support available for your circumstances.

Our information sheet Students with children  gives a good overview of all the funding available but if you still have questions, you can book an appointment with one of our Student Money and Accommodation Advisers.

Named contact for Student Parents - Susie McLoughlin -

chat loading...