Disabilities and Dyslexia Service (DDS)

The London Met Disabilities and Dyslexia Service (DDS) offers advice, information and support for students with a disability, a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) such as Dyslexia or Dyspraxia, students who are Deaf or hard of hearing, blind or partially sighted students, students with chronic long-term health conditions and students with mental health difficulties.

  • Bespoke, informed, professional guidance and ongoing advice for students and prospective students with a range of disabilities, SpLDs and medical conditions
  • Screenings and advice to students wishing to investigate whether they may have an SpLD
  • Referral for a diagnostic assessment where appropriate
  • Recommendations for reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act (2010) in order to ensure that students are enabled to participate as fully as possible in the academic and social life of the University. This can include adjustments to arrangements for teaching, examinations, the physical environment and methods of communication
  • Assistance with setting up non-medical help (such as note-takers, campus support, mentors, interpreters and SpLD one-to-one support)
  • Advice and guidance on the funding available to disabled students (such as the Disabled Students' Allowance and funding for disabled EU and International students)
  • Tailored training, advice and guidance for staff supporting disabled students

London Met makes anticipatory adjustments where possible (eg in course design and by improving access to buildings) but we understand that everyone's needs are different. Therefore once you have received your offer of a place you should register with DDS as soon as possible to help us ensure we have got all the support you might require for the start of your course.

We need you to provide medical evidence of your condition in order for us to assess the appropriate support. All evidence must be in written English or transcribed by a certified transcription service and authenticated as such.

Disability Evidence needed
For disabilities, Deaf or hard-of-hearing students, blind or partially sighted students, and students with a chronic long-term health/mental health condition.
  • A recent (no more than 12 months old) report or letter from your GP, consultant or other qualified specialist.
  • It should state all diagnoses, when you were diagnosed and how long you have had the condition/s.
  • Any current treatment or support.
  • If you are likely to require special examination arrangements, the medical letter must state what they should be (eg extra time, rest breaks etc) and why this is required.
For Specific Learning Difficulties (eg Dyslexia or Dyspraxia). A report, produced since you were age 16, from an Educational Psychologist or Specialist Teacher Assessor.

Information relating to physical or mental health constitutes sensitive personal data. Under the Data Protection Act (1998), explicit permission from the data subject (ie the student) must be sought before this type of information is passed on to a third party unless there is a legal obligation to provide the information.  Please ask your Disabilities and Dyslexia Adviser if you have any questions concerning the data we keep or the terms of the Data Protection Act. Please note that we will not speak to your parents/legal guardian about you without your express written permission.

Who will you share my information with?

DDS may need to disclose information about your disability with certain people in order to help support you. This information will only be shared where necessary and on a 'need to know' basis. We define 'need to know' as sharing sufficient information to help set up support and only with people involved in that process. We always ask that the people with whom we share your information respect your confidentiality and do not pass your information onto anyone else unless they are also involved in your support.

Those with whom the DDS may share your information can include (but is not strictly limited to): your Diversity Coordinators, Personal Academic Tutors, the Examinations Office, your School and funding body. DDS may also share student data with other university departments, such as the Careers Service, for recruitment, statistics, and monitoring purposes.

DDS may also need to request and/or share further information about your additional support needs from individuals and/or agencies outside of the University such as your GP, Consultant, Mental Health Support Team, Educational Psychologist, previous education provider, or funding body (eg Student Finance England) where appropriate. This is in order to ensure we are able to support you whilst studying at university. We respect your confidentiality and assure you that any information shared will be handled in a sensitive and discreet manner.

The Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) from Student Finance England can help to pay for the extra costs you may incur as a direct result of your disability, Specific Learning Difficulties, chronic long-term health condition or mental health difficulty. DSAs are paid on top of your Student Finance and do not have to be repaid. The allowance can help with the cost of having a person to support you, such as a note-taker or specialist tutor; items of specialist equipment; travel and other course-related costs. DSAs cover the cost of specialist equipment and support and do not have to be repaid. They are non-means tested and will be in addition to your Student Finance. Most full-time and part-time students who satisfy the eligibility criteria for obtaining 'Home' funding from Student Finance England should be eligible to apply for DSA. 'Home-status' postgraduate students may also be eligible. 

For students who are ineligible for the DSA, such as international students, please contact the DDS when you are thinking of applying to London Met so we can discuss possible sources of disability-related funding.

Applying for DSA

You should apply for DSA as soon as possible, ideally before you start your course. You will need to complete an application form and send this to the relevant funding body along with the appropriate evidence confirming your disability. They will then reply to confirm whether you are eligible.

If you are eligible you will be asked to attend a DSA Needs Assessment at a DSA Assessment Centre (see below for further information).

After you have attended your DSA Needs Assessment a report will be sent to your funding body who will subsequently write to confirm what they will fund. Once you receive this letter, you can order equipment and organise specialist support.

Your DDS Adviser can guide you through the DSA application process . Get in touch if you have a question or need support with the application. 

Finding a DSA Assessment Centre

The service previously available on the DSA-QAG website that enabled individuals to locate a DSA Assessment Centre has now closed. For convenience, London Met students are able to attend their DSA Assessment with a company called 'Contact Associates' at either the Aldgate or Holloway Road campus.  

Contact Associates at Holloway Road Campus: 

London Metropolitan Holloway Road Campus Assessment Centre, Room TM1-87, Tower Building, London Metropolitan University, 166-220 Holloway Road, London, N7 8DB

Booking telephone number: 01823 273060 / Email admin@contact-associates.co.uk

Contact Associates at Aldgate Campus:

London Metropolitan Aldgate Campus Assessment Centre, Pod 3, Aldgate Hub, London Metropolitan University, Goulston Street, London, E1 7QA

Booking telephone number: 01823 273060 / Email admin@contact-associates.co.uk

The funding bodies

For specific information for your particular funding body, please follow the links below.


Dyslexia is a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) which mainly affects reading and spelling ability. There is a range of support available for students with a Specific Learning Difficulty at London Met. The DDS offers students a free computer-based screening test and can refer students to an Educational Psychologist for a full diagnostic assessment. Read our three-step SpLD assessment process .

Get in touch with DDS to book a screening test appointment or to see a DDS Adviser to discuss your concerns.


To make an appointment please contact us by telephone or email: 

 +44(0)20 7133 2188 or email dds.studentservices@londonmet.ac.uk 

Cancelled and missed appointments

DDS appointments are in high demand. If you can't make your appointment, contact DDS in advance to cancel so we can offer the appointment slot to another student.

If you repeatedly miss appointments without cancelling, your use of the service may be terminated. 

Where can you meet an adviser?

We have appointments Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm at the following locations:

  • Holloway Road at the Learning Centre, 2nd floor
  • Aldgate campus at Calcutta House. Please report to the Hub.

What will happen during my first appointment?

Your DDS Adviser will talk to you about how your disability or difficulty impacts on your studies. The adviser will go through your documentary evidence and suggest appropriate adjustments for your studies. Your DDS Adviser can help you apply for and organise Disabled Students' Allowances. You may also be referred for a dyslexia screening test or to another service within the university. Appointments are booked for 1 hour. If you need more time to discuss your university adjustments, you may need to rebook for another day.  

Acceptable behaviour

Students are expected to interact with all staff members in a respectful and honest way in accordance with the University's Student Charter. Bad language, threatening behaviour and raised voices will not be tolerated and may result in the termination of your use this service. 


Drop-in arrangments will be announced in due course.  


Please see below for policies relevant to the advice, guidance and support provided by DDS.

Assistance Animals on University Property - Policy and Guidelines



Disabilities and Dyslexia Service (DDS) contact details

Contact form

+44 (0)20 7133 2188

9:00am to 5:00pm 

Monday to Friday

Learning Centre

236–250 Holloway Road
London N7 6PP

Room: LC2-06

Appointments are also available at:

Aldgate Campus

Calcutta House

Old Castle Street

London E1 7NT

chat loading...