Frequently asked questions

Q) What does my progression decision mean?

• PP (Pass ProgressAt least 90 credits passed and at least 120 credits completed. All required modules identified as 'must pass' in the Course Specification passed.
    • You will now progress on to your next academic year
  • PR (Conditional ProgressionAt least 60 credits passed and at least 120 credits completed. All required modules identified as 'must pass' in the Course Specification passed.
    • You will now progress on to your next academic year. Please note that you will have to re-take any failed modules (maximum of 30 credits).
  • RL (Remain at Level) Cannot progress as PR but at least 30 credits passed.
    • You will not progress on to your next academic year and will need to repeat your failed modules.
  • FD (Fail Discontinue)You have passed less than 30 credits
    • Student’s status shall be terminated (Fail Discontinue) unless evidence through mitigating circumstances procedures or a review of academic performance confirms that deferred assessment or further opportunities to repeat should be available.
    • To appeal this progression please complete an appeal form and send to the Student Hub (hub@londonmet.ac.uk) or drop off at one of our physical locations

More information regarding progressions can be found here.

If you are a student with a PR or RL progression desicision and would like to change your modules you will first need approval from your Course Leader. The Student Hub would need to see an email from the Course Leader confirming any changes. If you are contacting your Course Leader you can CC studenthub@londonmet.ac.uk so that we are aware of any decisions.

Q) What is 'fitness to study'?

The Fitness to Study Regulations is intended as a framework to be used by staff when a student’s ability to progress academically and function at university appears to be detrimentally affected by their health or other circumstances. You can find more information here.

Q) How do I appeal a decision against me?

Details on how to appeal a decision can be found here.

Information on module registration can be found here.

Part-time student module registration;

Returning students who have passed all modules will receive an email to their London Met account providing instructions on how to register your modules. 

You should refer to the course catalogue which provides details of the modules you can take on your course.  This can be accessed online here

Q) I feel like giving up… I am not getting any help

The Student Liaison Team provides advice and assistance to students who experience challenges – whether personal or professional – to help you get the support you need to succeed in your studies.

They can provide information and advice relating to academic and personal support available at London Met, as well as support services in your local area. They also provide coaching & mentoring to help you get back on track to achieve your goals.

If you are struggling with your studies, or there are circumstances hindering you from doing your best here at London Met, you can contact the Student Liaison Team via email at studentliaison@londonmet.ac.uk, or you can the Student Hub on 020 7133 7001 and they can put you in touch with the Student Liaison Adviser for your School.

Q) Who can I talk to about academic advice?

You can speak with a number of people in the University, these include your course and module leaders, Academic Mentors or the Academic Liaison Librarians

Q) Can I change my seminar group?

A) Any request to change group will require authorisation from the module leader who should email the Student Hub directly. Group changes are not permitted after the second week of teaching unless there is a clash with another module.

Full time undergraduate student 

As a full time undergraduate student, the maximum credits you can be registered for in one academic year is 120 credits. Additional credits cannot clash with any existing modules registered.
When choosing an additional module be sure to check that the module does not clash with your current modules. 

Part time undergraduate student

As a part time undergraduate student, the maximum credits you can be registered for in one academic year is 90 credits.

As a part time postgraduate student, the maximum credits you can be registered for in one academic year is 120.

Any amount above these will result in your mode of attendance changing to full time.

Returning student 

If you are a returning student and your progression decision is to remain at current level (RL), you cannot add additional modules to change your mode of attendance.  

Q) How do I apply for the Hardship Fund?

A)  Information on the hardship fund can be found here.

Q) When and where can I hand in the Hardship Fund Application?

Completed forms can be submitted to either Aldgate or Holloway Student Hub.
Please note that you must be at a Hub 30 minutes before closing time to hand in the form otherwise we will not be able to process it that day and you will have to return the following day. This is due to the amount of time it takes for the form to be checked and processed

Q) Student Finance England (SFE) have confirmed over the phone that I will receive funding shortly, what do I do?

Please speak with our Student Money and Accommodation Advice team so they can confirm this with SFE by either attending a drop in session or by booking an appointment.

Q) SFE have sent me written confirmation of my funding, where do I send this?

You can send a copy of your confirmation via email to our Income Collection team (incomecollection@londonmet.ac.uk)

Q) I am still waiting for SFE to confirm my funding, what should I do?

You will need to arrange a payment plan with our Income Collection team  via email or phone (incomecollection@londonmet.ac.uk; +44(0)20 7423 0000)

Q) I haven't received my student loan, when will I receive it?

The Student Loans Company (SLC) release your first tuition fee loan payment after we confirm that you are fully enrolled with the University. We normally notify the SLC on the day of your enrolment and the payment then takes three working days to arrive in your bank account.
If you enrolled/ re-enrolled  prior to the start of the academic year then you will receive your payment on the first day of term.

If you are still experiencing issues please contact our Fees team by email feequery@londonmet.ac.uk.
If you have yet to apply for for student finance and need support please book an appointment with our Student Money and Accommodation Advice Team

Q) How do I apply for student finance?

A) You can find more information about student loans on the London Met website (including tuition fees and maintenance) here.

You can also find guidance through the student finance section on the government website.  

Q) I haven’t received my student finance decision yet. What should I do?

A) Student finance can take a while to provide a decision – we would advise you to contact them should you urgently require an update.

Q) The Student Loan Company are now paying for my fees, how can I update this?

A) If you are now in receipt of a tuition fee loan, Student Finance will let the university know directly.

Q) Why have I not received my student finance support?

A) There could be a variety of reasons which could be;  

1. Have you been fully approved for your support as it can take up to 6 weeks to be approved? -  Once you have been approved you will receive a Notification of Entitlement letter explaining your funding

2Are you fully enrolled at London Met for the current academic year? - London Met are unable to confirm your attendance for student finance until you are fully enrolled. When you are fully enrolled confirmation will be sent that day.

3.Does the Student Loans Company have your bank details? You can update your bank details online. You can do this by logging into your student finance account and clicking on ‘Update My Profile’.

4Does the Student Loan Company have your national insurance number? Your loan cannot be paid until your national insurance number is checked with HMRC, this can take up to a week after your application is approved. 

Q) Where can I get financial advice?

A) The Student Money and Accommodation Advice team provides confidential, face-to-face drop-in sessions and appointments on a range of issues from undergraduate and postgraduate funding for Home and EU students, to accommodation in student halls and private rented accommodation in London.

They offer support with making your funding application to Student Finance England or its non-UK team, and advice and help with resolving any difficulties you might have in the process with Student Finance England.

They also provide funding advice if you are considering changing, suspending, or leaving your course, and support in liaising with other University teams, for example, the Student Fees Office and the Income Section.

During the summer vacation, advisers are available for appointments at various times Monday to Friday, at Holloway Road Learning Centre and at Aldgate. You can now book an appointment with a Student Money and Accommodation Adviser online. Click here to book an appointment 

For further information of how the team can support you please click here.

Q) What are the tuition fees for next year ?

A) If you are a returning student, your fee will be displayed on evision when you complete your re-enrolment. If you have any further queries, please contact email feequery@londonmet.ac.uk  quoting your student number at all times.

If you are a new student, details of tuition fees can be found here

Q) What are the university details to pay by bank transfer?

A) Details of how to pay via bank transfer can be found here.

Q) How do I change my name or other personal details on my record?

A) This can be done for you by staff in the Student Hub. Evidence in the form of a marriage certificate, current and valid passport, or a deed poll certificate will be required before any changes can be made.

Q) I need to take a break from my course, how do I do that?

You can either take a break prior to restarting the year or part way through an academic year by completing a ‘Taking a Break’ form.

Further information on the process and the form can be found here.

Q) How do I withdraw from the University?

A) You need to formally confirm your intention to withdraw from the University by completing the withdrawal request on your Evision account. You can find the withdrawal request within the My Progress section of Evision.

Further information about the process can be found here.

Q) How do I cancel my studies?

You have the right to cancel your contract with the University within 14 days without giving any reason. The cancellation period will expire after 14 days from the day of the conclusion of the contract (that is the day you accept our offer of a place to study).

More information can be found here.

Q) How do I make a complaint?

If you feel that you have not received the service expected or you have been unable to get an issue resolved then you may want to consider the complaints procedure. You can find further details here about making a complaint.

Q) I have a new job, how do I get a reference?

Standard Reference

The Student Hub can provide your new employer with a standard reference. Your new employer would need to contact the Student Hub via hub@londonmet.ac.uk To provide this reference we would also require your consent to share your information
A standard reference includes the following information:

• Personal details such as name and date of birth
  • Degree studied
  • Dates studied
  • Degree result (if applicable)

Academic Reference

If your new employer requires more detailed information regarding more specific information such as your abilities or skills then you would need to contact an academic member of staff who can comment on this. Often this will be either your course or module leader(s). If you are unsure of their contact details then please contact the Hub.
Please note that on occasion an academic who taught you or knew you well may have left London Metropolitan, in this case the Hub will try and hep you find an alternative member of staff who can support otherwise we can produce a standard reference.

Q)I have forgotten my password, what should I do?

You can reset your password online, for more details please check here.

Q) I'm having issues accessing software or connecting to the WiFi, how do I contact IT?

You can raise an issue using the self service portal or by chatting to the team online (scroll down on this page and select IT Help Chat) or pop in to the Library to see the Tech Smart Team. Tech Smart are available during term time between 930am and 530pm.

For other information and general IT policies please check here

Q) I am unable to see my modules/submit on Weblearn, what should I do?

First, check with the Student Hub or via via eVision that you are registered for these modules . If you are registered then please contact IT either by raising an issue using the self service portal by chatting to the team online (scroll down on this page and select IT Help Chat) or pop in to the Library to see the Tech Smart Team. Tech Smart are available during term time between 930am and 530pm.

For any other issues with Weblearn please contact your module leader.

Q) How do I credit or top-up my print account

You can top-up your print account using the online Print credits system using a debit or credit card. You will need your University username and password.

The minimum top-up amount is £2.00. 

Q) How do I get a refund on unused print credit?

The University does not offer cash refunds for Print Credits.

However in certain circumstances we can give re-credits (eg if the printer jams and spoils your printing) or a refund for unused credits (over £10 only). 

Please see the Student Print Credit Refund Policy ‌ for full information.

Q) How much does it cost to print?

A4 mono (black and white) single sided: 5p
A4 mono double sided: 10p

A4 colour single sided: 25p
A4 colour double sided: 50p

A3 mono (black and white) single sided: 10p
A3 mono double sided: 20p

A3 colour single sided: 50p
A3 colour double sided: £1

Q) I need a new ID card ?

A) Replacement ID cards can be purchased through the eshop using the link here. Please bring your receipt to the Student Hub and we can print you a new one.

If your card has been stolen, you can report it to the police and once you receive a Crime Reference Number we will issue you with a new card free of charge.

Q) My ID card isn't working?

A) This could be due to several reasons please come into the Student Hub and we can explore this with you. Our opening times are Monday - Friday 9:30 - 17:00 

Q) I found my old ID card, can I have a refund for my new card?

Refunds will normally be given if you find your old ID card and inform the Student Hub within 2 weeks of purchasing your new ID card.  No refunds will be made after this period.

Q) How do I apply for a Student Oyster card?

A) If you are a full time student you may be eligible for a Student Oyster card. Eligible students can save 30% on adult-rate Travelcards and Bus & Tram Pass season tickets. You can apply via the link here

When you start the application you will need to create a web account. You will also need to provide a digital photo for your Student Oyster card which you can upload online. Your Student Oyster card will be sent to you once the University has approved your application.

We strongly advise that you read the terms and conditions before making your application. 

Q) Why has my Student Oyster card been canceled?

A) If your Student Oyster card has been cancelled it may be because you no longer meet the eligibility criteria. You may have graduated from University or you may no longer be studying on a full-time basis. Students who are concerned about any cancellations can contact the Student Hub on 02071337001.   

Q) How do I respond to my offer?

If you have applied through UCAS you will need to log into UCAS Track (the hub for students to keep track of their UCAS applications) and reply there.

You can find more information here.

If you have applied directly to London Met, you should reply through the student portal here.

Q) I can’t log in to UCAS - what should I do?

A)  You should reset your password or if this does not work contact UCAS directly. 

Q) I didn’t receive any offers - how do I add an extra choice?

A) You can add London Met as an extra choice on UCAS EXTRA 

Q) I didn’t select London Met as my firm or insurance choice - can I change this?

A) You should withdraw from your other choices on UCAS track in order to add London Met on UCAS extra or Clearing.

Q) I have an English test - can I cancel it / change the date?

A) You can rebook your English Test by logging onto Eventbrite directly through the invitation link sent out to you.

Q) I selected London Met as my insurance choice - how do I change to firm?

A) You will need to request to be released by your firm choice and then we will automatically become your firm choice. The other institution may request a confirmation letter from us allowing them to do this.

Q) My offer has conditions. How do I send my documents?

A) Log in to the application portal to upload your document, if you are unsure how to do so refer to the initial application confirmation email 

Q) What are my options if my application is rejected?

A) We would be happy to receive an application for a future intake – unfortunately, we would not be able to consider for the current intake unless they are able to provide additional qualifications.

Q) When can I expect to receive an update on my application?

A) 10 working days although we aim to provide an update prior to that time.

Q) When must I meet the conditions of my offer?

A) We would advise to meet your conditions at your earliest opportunity. We would advise you to make sure you meet any conditions before your enrolment date so as to avoid missing any of your course.

If you are an International student give yourself plenty of time in order to apply for their visa. Dates and deadlines for international students.

chat loading...