Counselling Service Frequently Asked Questions

As your six sessions come to an end, you and your counsellor will review how the work has gone?. Most students find that the six sessions are enough to and explore one of the following options: 

* Bring counselling to a close
* Start a new counselling contract if appropriate and possible
* Arrange periodic review meetings
* Referral to an external agency, e.g. your G.P., specialist counselling or psychotherapy, self help groups
* Consider referral to another internal service such as a counselling group or another service in the Student Services.

One of the commonest problems of being a student is leaving revision or assignments till last minute. If you like having tension and work well with this, then you may not want to change. However, unexpected events may later throw you off course and you may find that putting things off sabotages your progress.

‘Emotional Intelligence’ (relating to, but different from IQ) is understood as "the capacity for recognizing our own feelings and those of others, for motivating ourselves, and for managing emotions well in ourselves and in our relationships" (Bowling & Hoffmann, 2003). The counselling sessions and the 'Certificate in Personal Development and Emotional Intelligence' we offer can help you to understand and develop these qualities.

Indeed we do have one. For more information please consult our Diversity statement.

Yes, a counsellor may be able to help you with what is called 'mitigating circumstances'. The counsellor may also be able to help you with an appeal. However, such support is usually, though not always, in the context of 'regular and on-going' meetings. If you are experiencing difficulties which impact upon your studies, then you are advised to discuss these with your counsellor at an early stage, so that arrangements can be made before the mitigation and appeals deadlines. If you have not attended counselling regularly or you have missed appointments, then the Service may refuse to support your application. The Service will consider supporting mitigation and appeal applications in relation to emotional and mental health problems only. We cannot support applications which are based on the following: medical issues, legal issues, transport problems, computer problems or problems which we cannot verify.

For advice on how to make an application for mitigation or on making an appeal, please consult our guideline and the university Rules and Regulations webpage.

chat loading...