Student Fire Safety

Students’ lifestyles, particularly in halls of residence, leave them vulnerable to fires. 

Some of these scenarios may sound familiar:

  • Having a drink stood on a table next to your stereo, laptop and or TV.
  • Patching up old and dangerous electrical equipment, to avoid having to pay for new items.
  • Lighting a candle or incense stick, then being distracted by a flat-mate inviting you to their room for a drink.
  • Rushing out of the door when you’re late, leaving hair straighteners switched on and laying on the carpet.
  • Even having a last cigarette before bed and falling asleep while it’s alight!

All of these can lead to fires, particularly when items are left unattended. If you’re in the room you might get away with some singed valuables, if you’ve left the room you could lose everything to fire and put people’s lives in danger.

In a lot of student accommodation the fire alarms go off frequently and in the middle of the night. Please don’t ignore or even try to disable these alarms; always follow the evacuation procedure - you never know how close to you or how big the fire is.

chat loading...