Staying safe and healthy

Here are some handy tips to ensure you stay safe during your time at university – they'll be particularly helpful if If you're moving to London for the first time.

Look after yourself

  • Plan your route before going anywhere – the Transport for London website is a good place to start, and the Citymapper app is also very useful.
  • Avoid walking long distances at night – only use registered taxis or minicabs.
  • Avoid using headphones when walking or cycling so you can give your surroundings your full attention.

Look after your belongings

  • Lock windows and doors when leaving your accommodation, even if you’re only going next door.
  • Mark valuable items with your postcode using an ultraviolet pen.
  • Register serial numbers for free using Immobilise so, if your property is stolen, the police can track you as the owner.
  • Keep your purse or wallet close to your body – don’t carry too much cash.
  • Be cyber-safe: never share your login details and look out for phishing emails.

Registering with a doctor

If you're new to London, you should register with a local general practitioner (GP) practice as soon as possible and preferably before you actually need to see a doctor about an illness. You can find a list of your local GPs on the NHS website. If you're a national of a European Economic Area (EEA) country and you are studying on a course lasting less than six months then you are strongly advised to bring a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you, otherwise you may be charged for your healthcare.


If you are eligible for NHS treatment you will be eligible for treatment by a dentist accepting NHS patients (although this is not free treatnment it is cheaper than private treatment). You can find a dentist on the NHS website.

Eye tests and opticians

Eye tests are available at opticians, which can be found on most high streets. There is a charge for these services.


  • If you need to report incidents or stolen belongings to the police, dial 101 – in an emergency always call 999.
  • If you have a serious illness or an accident go to the accident and emergency (A&E) department at your nearest hospital.

COVID-19 information

You may also be interested in the measures we've put in place to make our campuses COVID-secure.


chat loading...