DDS Workshops - Get Tech GO!
During the 20/21 academic year, DDS will be providing technology strategy workshops that will be available to all London Metropolitan students. Our spring induction workshops will be running during February and early March and are aimed at new students and also those wishing to improve their technology-based study skills.
So Get Tech Ready, Get Tech GO! and make the most of the IT that is available to you.
What technology will be covered?
During the workshops a range of technology tools will be demonstrated including:
- MS Office 365
- Adobe Reader
- Google Chrome and Google Apps
- Google Calendar / Windows Calendar
- Windows Accessibility Tools
- ClaroRead Plus
Factsheets are available to attendees detailing how to access the tools above, many of which are available for free or at no cost to London Metropolitan University students.
Students are welcome to attend any of the individual workshops offered below. However, Get Tech Go workshops have been planned as a series with strategies linking from workshop to workshop. Students are therefore encouraged to attend all workshops for optimal benefit.
Workshop 1 will focus on technology strategies to aid with reading. It will include:
- Adapting onscreen text to aid with the reading process.
- Adapting display properties to make the onscreen text easier to read.
- Finding and gathering useful information.
- Using text to speech to have onscreen text read aloud.
- Converting digital text into audio files.
- Converting inaccessible PDF documents into accessible text.
Workshop 2 will focus on technology strategies to aid with note-taking, organisation and planning. It will include:
- Naming and organising digital study resources to help find information efficiently.
- Organising information and ideas using visual planning tools such as MindView.
- Organising information and ideas using MS OneNote.
- Using time management tools.
Workshop 3 will focus on technology strategies to aid with writing and proofreading (checking your work). It will include:
- Using predictive text tools to aid with writing.
- Using speech to text tools - dictate text into your computer.
- Using MS Office proofreading tools.
- Using Grammarly to check your writing.
When are the Get Tech Go workshops?
- Workshop 1: Friday 19 February 2021 - 1pm - 2.30pm
- Workshop 2: Friday 26 February 2021 - 1pm - 2.30pm
- Workshop 3: Friday 5March 2021 - 1pm - 2.30pm
Where are the workshops?
Online - when you have registered for a workshop you will be sent a link to join in online. When the university campus is reopened sufficiently workshops will additionally run onsite.
Do I need to register?
Yes. If you wish to attend any of the workshops or wish to register an interest in attending future workshops, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can call the DDS team on 020 7133 2188 to book your place. Students who have booked to attend a Get Tech GO workshop will be sent a link to the online Collaborate session in due course.
Get Tech Go! Factsheets
The content of Get Tech Go! workshops has been collated into factsheets for London Met students. Strategies are structured to form a technology-based study skills curriculum and so factsheets are best viewed in order. Check back regularly for new information and updates!