Student Volunteering Week is almost upon us and we couldn't be more excited!
Student Volunteering Week 2020 takes place from 10th-14th February. This is the 19th year that Student Volunteering Week is taking place. Getting involved offers a great chance for students to develop their skills while forming key social action partnerships in local communities.
Student Volunteering Week celebrates student volunteering in the following ways:
- Improves student wellbeing
- Develops students' employability
- Contributes positively to the wider and local community life
We have organised a series of pop-ups again this year to help you find out more about the huge range of opportunities that you can get involved in at London Met. 12:00 - 14:00, Junction Cafe (Tower Building, Holloway Campus)
This a great opportunity to get involved in a range of activities to help you:
- gain experience in an area of interest.
- gain confidence and personal skills.
- boost your CV and develop transferable skills employers are looking for.
- network with a range of organisations.
- gain accredited training and qualifications.
- try something new and make a difference in the London community.
- enhance your university experience.
All students, from all courses and subject areas, are welcome to attend. Booking is not required.
Four colleagues from Careers and Employability gave the Island House Community Centre garden a much needed summer clean and clear on our Staff Volunteering day 2019. Staff, local scout group and the adjoining nursery use the garden.
We appointed one colleague ‘Head Gardener’ and with her encouraging advice that “you can’t make mistakes, it’ll grow back” and that we should “cut it right back” - we eagerly pulled, cut, cleared and bagged to transform the garden.
The results were incredibly rewarding for us as volunteers as well as those who use the garden.
“I honestly can’t believe how much you managed to clear! It looks absolutely amazing and everybody is saying that they can’t wait to have afternoon meetings and lunch out there now.” Amanda (Island House Office Coordinator)