Visitors and alumni
Our visitor walk in access to e-resources PCs are temporarily unavailable.
The services available to visitors are:
- Access to most print collections.
- Access to the library catalogue which holds information about Library stock and which is freely available via the web.
- Walk-In Access to a limited number of electronic resources such as ejournals and databases, where our licensing agreements allow. Access is provided on dedicated terminals in our 2 libraries.
- Guest wireless access accounts for laptops or devices will be provided by the library as there is no general access to IT facilities for visitors.
- Photocopying and printing.
- Limited borrowing rights for some visitor categories.
We welcome visitors with the designations below:
- Visiting Professors - if you are affiliated to the University for a minimum of 6 months some Library services are available to you. You may borrow up to four print items from the main collection.
- Retired Staff - you may join the Library as an Alumnus / Alumna for reference only access. You can apply for Alumni Borrowing Membership for a small charge.
- Emeritus - Some Library services are available to former staff who are assigned Emeritus status by the University. You may borrow up to four print items from the main collection
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
- Staff and researchers at institutions in London and the south-east who are not SCONUL members can use our libraries via the M25 Scheme.
- Your London Metropolitan University ID card gives access to all our buildings.
- Services for partnerships students.
- If you have a current SCONUL Access card or approval email from your home institution you may use our libraries. There is no general access to IT facilities but if you have registered for Eduroam at your home university, you should be able to access the internet using the Eduroam wi-fi system.
- From 1st of August 2017 there will be changes to our Sconul Access registration procedure. In order to register all incoming SCONUL Access members to London Metropolitan University libraries, applicants must bring with them on their first visit:
- A completed copy of the Sconul Access application form
- A copy of your SCONUL registration email which clearly states your Band (A, B, C or R), an expiry date which is more than 1 calendar month in the future and the details of the representative of your home institution
- A passport-sized photograph of yourself
- Your home institution ID card
- Sconul summer vacation access allows students and staff from UK universities to use our libraries by showing a valid University ID card during the summer vacation. You do not need to be a SCONUL access scheme member.
General public and University students and staff from non SCONUL membership institutions
- Reference access only
- A membership fee is payable :
1 year - £150 3 months - £50 1 month - £25 1 week - £12 1 day - £7
- To apply please complete an application form. Provide proof of identity and address (e.g. utility bill, bank statement, rent book) and pay a membership fee (payments are online via E-shop).
- You will need to provide a passport sized photo for applications 1 week and over.
- Then email the completed application form to email@example.com.
- Students and staff from UK universities who are not SCONUL members but wish to use our libraries during the summer vacation can do so by showing a valid University ID card. No membership fee applies. SCONUL summer access.
Please note that access to London Met libraries is at the discretion of the Senior Library Assistant or Library Manager.
Frequently asked questions
Our CLA licence does not cover library users who are not members of the University. To enable such users to make copies for commercial purposes, the CLA has introduced a Library Licence Scheme.
External users are asked to complete a CLA form available from the Library staff and pay a fee of £18 (incl. VAT) to the librarian, which we will then forward to the CLA. The form contains details about what is being copied and assists the CLA to distribute the money received to authors, visual artists or publishers. Please retain the photocopy (which is also your VAT receipt).
- If you are an Alumnus/Alumna or a visitor to the University wishing to photocopy or print, you can create a guest account online. Click on "I do not have an account yet, I would like to create one". Follow the onscreen instructions and you will be given a unique username and password
All visitors are subject to library rules and regulations. The Library reserves the right to withdraw the service where users are in breach of the Library regulations.
- All visitors must carry valid ID or a day pass.
- Library ID cards are for personal use only.
- All visitors and applicants must be age of 18 or over.