Visitors and alumni
Access for Sconul Access students and other visitors to our main libraries and special collections is suspended due to Covid 19 safety measures until further notice.
The services available to visitors are:
- Access to most print collections.
- Access to the library catalogue which holds information about Library stock and which is freely available via the web.
- Guest wireless access accounts for laptops or devices will be provided by the library during staffed opening hours as there is no general access to IT facilities for visitors.
- Access to this selection of e-resources whilst on London Met Campuses using your own mobile device. Please note that access for commercial activity is prohibited.
- Photocopying and printing.
- Limited borrowing rights for some visitor categories.
- You may request an introduction to the Library from a librarian. Please email email@example.com giving two weekdays notice so that a suitable date and time can be arranged.
Alumni, Sconul Access and other external visitors may use our libraries only until 21:00 during term time and until 19:00 on weekends and during vacation. You will be asked to leave after this time. External visitors with a day pass can utilise the pass over two days covering a 24 hour period.
We welcome visitors with the designations below:
- Visiting Professors - if you are affiliated to the University for a minimum of 6 months some Library services are available to you. You may borrow up to four print items from the main collection.
- Retired Staff - you may join the Library as an Alumnus / Alumna for reference only access. You can apply for Alumni Borrowing Membership for a small charge.
- Emeritus - Some Library services are available to former staff who are assigned Emeritus status by the University. You may borrow up to four print items from the main collection
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
- Staff and researchers at institutions in London and the south-east who are not SCONUL members can use our libraries via the M25 Scheme.
- Alumni ID card will give you reference access to the library.
- Application form and details
- Paying a fee allows Alumni members to borrow books. Payment is online via E-shop.
- Using your own mobile device, you can access a selection of e-resources whilst on Campus by obtaining a guest wi-fi login from the Information desk during library staffed opening hours.
- Membership gives you free reference access to our print collections. You'll be able to read open-access content listed on the library catalogue, called the Directory of Open Access Journals.
- Your London Metropolitan University ID card gives access to all our buildings.
- Services for partnerships students.
The SCONUL Access scheme is suspended nationally and will not resume until further notice.
General public and University students and staff from non SCONUL membership institutions
- Reference access only
- A membership fee is payable :
1 year - £150 3 months - £50 1 month - £25 1 week - £12 1 day - £7
- To apply please complete an application form. Provide proof of identity and address (e.g. utility bill, bank statement, rent book) and pay a membership fee (payments are online via E-shop).
- You will need to provide a passport-sized photo for applications 1 week and over.
- Then email the completed application form to email@example.com.
Please note that access to London Met libraries is at the discretion of the Senior Library Assistant or Library Manager.
- Access25 offers access to scholarly and specialist libraries not included in the SCONUL Access scheme. See the list of institutions in the Access25 scheme. The scheme is open to postgraduate research students and staff from M25 member institutions.
NB: please check current access arrangements with individual libraries before setting out
Referrals from public libraries
Members of the public will need a written referral from the Librarian at their Public library for access for research needs sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. This will be for one visit only free of charge. Subsequent visits will be charged at the rate of External users.
Frequently asked questions
Our CLA licence does not cover library users who are not members of the University. To enable such users to make commercial copies of an article in a journal or chapter of a book, the CLA has a Library Licence Scheme.
External users are asked to complete a CLA form available from the Library staff and pay a fee of £21 (incl. VAT) online via E-shop, which we will then forward to the CLA. The form contains details about what is being copied and assists the CLA to distribute the money received to authors, visual artists or publishers. Please retain the photocopy (which is also your VAT receipt).
- If you are an alumnus/alumna or a visitor to the University wishing to photocopy or print, you can create a guest account online. Click on "I do not have an account yet, I would like to create one". Follow the onscreen instructions and you will be given a unique username and password
All visitors are subject to library rules and regulations. The Library reserves the right to withdraw the service where users are in breach of the Library regulations.
- All visitors must carry valid ID or a day pass.
- Library ID cards are for personal use only.
- All visitors and applicants must be age of 18 or over.