Library self-guided tour
This is a quick overview of the resources and facilities that you will find in our libraries. See what is available at Holloway Library and Aldgate Library and within our Special Collections.
Opening hours and locations
Some books are available in electronic book format and you can access them 24 hours a day from home or anywhere else. Find out more about ebooks and other resources available on Library Matters on Weblearn.
- PCs - Microsoft and Apple Macs
- Printers - find out how to top your print credit
- Soft seating areas
- Water fountains
- Toilet facilities
- Lifts and stairs to all floors
There are designated study spaces to suit your needs
- group study
- quiet study
- silent study
Desks, study carrels and soft seating can be found in all areas.
What’s on your reading list?
Check out your reading list by module code or on your Weblearn module.
How to find a print book?
You will notice that there are numbers called class mark numbers on the side of each shelf and also on the spine of each book. Using these numbers will help you find the print book you might be interested in. So when you are searching the Library catalogue take note of this class number so you can find the area or floor, the specific shelf and the book title you are looking for.
Have a look at this video to find out more about finding print books on our shelves.
How many print books can I borrow?
Undergraduates can borrow up to 16 books and Postgraduates 20, plus any titles from our Reading for Pleasure collection.
To borrow a book, bring it to the self-service machines on the Ground floor and use your London Met ID card to check it out.
Loan types and borrowing
You will find other items on the shelves as well which because of high demand, rarity or cost have been designated for Reference Only. The rest of the books and DVDs are for Three Week or One Week Loan. They should automatically renew for a further period unless someone else has reserved it. We will email you around this time with details – please open the email and check that none of the books you have borrowed are reserved and must be returned.
Holloway Road Library
Note the fire exits on this floor and also where they are located on all floors. The ground and mezzanine floors are group study areas.
Information & Help desks
- Enquiry & Security desk at Library entrance
- Library Help Desk - Library help and queries in the central area on ground floor
- IT Help & advice at the same desk
- Academic Liaison Librarians/Subject Librarians drop-in, 1:1 research help area.
- Bookable group study room
- Food & drink machines (near Library cafe)
- Laptop loan lockers (near Library cafe)
- Library cafe (ground floor)
- Microwave (Library cafe)
- Shelf check out machines for borrowing or returning print books
- Shelving for returned books
- Shelving for reserved books
- Toilets on all floors
- Welcome Room - library inductions
- Water fountain
Holloway Road Library first and second floors
The main area of first floor is a quiet study zone and contains books covering subjects such as:
- social sciences
- international relations
- Quick Reference collection
- PCs including Apple Macs
- desks and study carrels
- “Reading for pleasure area”
- DVD collection
- dedicated Doctoral study room
The main area of the second floor is designated a silent study zone and contains books on the following subject areas:
- social care
- social policy
- translation studies
- medical science/health
- business & management & technology
- performing arts and film
Academic Journals print collection:
At the very end of the room is the collection of print journals arranged in alphabetical order.
Law Reference Reports:
There is a specific area for Law reference reports.
There is dedicated room for the Legal Practice collection.
- Desks and study carrels
- Three bookable study rooms
Aldgate library supports the subject areas for Art Architecture and Design. It is situated over three floors. Note the fire exits and where they are located on all floors.
- PCs including Apple Macs
- Printers - top up your account
- cutting tables
- light boxes
- Materials Products collection area third floor
- dedicated photography room (currently closed for refurbishment)
Ground floor and first floor areas
The ground floor area is partially closed and the first floor is fully closed due to refurbishment of the ventilation system.
Ground floor map:
- Library Information and help desk
- IT help desk
- Academic Liaison Librarian appointment area: Academic Liaison Librarians & subject guides
There is an ongoing Ventilation Project at AG Library please see the following areas that will not be available for access until further notice:
- Library Lounge - Walkway Access only for the staircase
- study rooms 1-4 closed due to refurbishment
- Architecture, Design and Photography magazines (closed temporarily due to ventilation improvement project)
- DVD / CD collections - Ask at Information Desk for Staff retrieval
- Laptop locker loans are unavailable from Aldgate Library. You can borrow one from Holloway Campus but it will need to be returned there at the end of the loan period
- Study Rooms No 5-9 - (closed temporarily due to ventilation improvement project)
- Past Journals - Ask at Information Desk for Staff retrieval
- Reading For Pleasure area - Ask at Information Desk for Staff retrieval
- IT Room ( 24 computers ) (closed temporarily due to ventilation improvement project)
- Photography Room
Second Floor Aldgate Library
To borrow a book, bring it to the self-service machines on the Ground floor with your London Met ID card to check it out.
The main area of the second floor is designated a quiet study area and contains books on the following subject areas:
Class mark number range: 001-699 and include books on
- popular culture
Class mark number range:numbers 700-999 and include books on