Libraries services for you from 5 October
Are the Libraries and Special Collections open?
We reopened the Holloway Road and Aldgate Libraries on Monday 5 October. The building is open from 09:00 to 18:00, with library staff available from 12:00 to 14:30 weekdays. Our virtual enquiry service will continue to run between 09:00 and 19:00 and our weekend virtual enquiry service will resume on Saturday 17 October from 13:00 to 17:00..
We will communicate updated information about Special Collections in the near future.
What are the services you will be running?
- Limited socially distanced PCs via a booking system
- Limited socially distanced study seats via a booking system - coming soon
- Book returns at each library
- Click and collect which allows London Met students and staff to request books via the online catalogue and, once notified, come in to collect the physical books. Library staff will be collecting the books on your behalf whilst the shelves are closed off due to the risk of transmission of the virus.
How are you going to keep everyone safe in the Library?
We have been working hard to put measures in place to enable safe use of the Library. This includes:
- Hand sanitisers will be available throughout the library spaces
- Limiting occupancy, and rearranging furniture to enable social distancing
- Perspex screens at the Information and reception desks
- A quarantine system for returned items
- Click and collect service whilst books cannot be accessed on the shelves
How can I contact the libraries or my Academic Liaison Librarian?
You can email the libraries or your Academic Liaison Librarian through the following email links:
- for general enquiries email@example.com
- for enquiries about Special Collections firstname.lastname@example.org
- for help and advice from your Academic Liaison Librarian and they will contact you with a suitable time for an online appointment email@example.com
Can I take out more books than my normal allowance?
Normal loan allowances will apply but you can use as many e-books as you wish.
Will you be open on weekends when term starts?
We will not be open at weekends at the start of the academic year, however our online enquiry and support will still be available on Saturdays and Sundays from 13:00 to 17:00
Will I be given a fine if my book is overdue?
If you are returning to London Met, your items will be automatically renewed if not reserved by another student. If any of your items have not automatically renewed, you will need to return them, so please keep an eye on your emails.
What online resources are available for my work, and how do I access them?
You can search across some online resources through Encore. You can also find a list of online databases where you can search for journal articles, reports and other materials specific to your subject by finding your subject on the A-Z subject guide list. You just need your University username and password to log on to these resources.
Our e-books are searchable via the catalogue, and Cambridge Core has over 45,000 titles that are particularly suited to third-year dissertations, master's-level projects and above. Each of your module reading lists will be available from a link within the module area of Weblearn or you can search for them by name from the reading lists system.
If you cannot log on to online resources, please email the library at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need help using e-resources, please email the Academic Liaison Librarians at email@example.com.
Where can I get help with finding things for my assignments and doing my research?
Library Matters on Weblearn contains a lot of guidance on finding resources and how to search effectively, as well as guidance on referencing, and lecture recordings and materials from previous referencing workshops. If you have not accessed Library Matters previously then you will be prompted to enrol on your first visit. You can also email your Academic Liaison Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are there any other free online resources available?
Several publishers have made available additional content, free to use on a temporary basis. Please be aware that this content is only accessible for the duration of the Covid-19 emergency.
Can I still get inter-library loans?
Please email the Library at email@example.com with any queries – we may still be able to get electronic inter-library loans.
Are you open for visitors?
The Library is only open for members of London Met University. Unfortunately, we are not able to offer access via the Sconul Access scheme, Alumni or other visitors until further notice due to restricted numbers on Campus.