Borrow, return and renew
Items automatically renew unless reserved, overdue or your account has been blocked.
- 16 items
Postgraduates and staff
- 20 items
Items that cannot be taken out of the library include journals or newspapers, items marked as Reference Only and PhD theses.
Teaching practice and Reading for Pleasure books can be taken in addition to your loan allowance.
Apart from a book loan allowance you also have access to 1000s of e-books.
The items on loan to you automatically renew before the due date and you will be sent an email indicating when they are due back.
Items will not automatically renew if one of the following applies:
- They have been requested by someone else (reserved)
- The item is already overdue
- Your account is blocked because you have a very overdue item issued to you
- Your fine has reached £20
- They have been renewed 99 times
You can check your loans and renew yourself via the library catalogue.
Please return reserved items immediately to avoid fines.
Fines are charged for the late return of 1 week loan, 3 day loan and Inter-Library Loans if not automatically renewed.
All LondonMet students pay fines online via Epayments.
3 day loan
£2.00 per day
1 week loan
£1.00 per day
3 week loan
Counter Loans / Offprints
£2.00 per day
£1.00 per day
Frequently asked questions
- Check your library record regularly.
- Check your email regularly.
- If an item has been reserved by another borrower it must be returned by the due date.
- If you have been ill and unable to renew your books online, the fines will be waived on production of a medical certificate covering the period of the fines.
- We will accept a replacement copy of lost, stolen or destroyed items. This needs to be approved by the appropriate Academic Liaison Librarian. Contact your Academic Liaison Librarian before buying books.
- The replacement copy must be the same title as the one on your loan record.
- It must be a new copy.
- We only accept the latest edition of the title.
- Where items are out of print, we may accept a second hand copy. Please discuss with your Academic Liaison Librarian before you purchase.
- If you are not able to provide a replacement copy you will be charged a minimum fee of £50.00 per item, but the charge may be higher as we charge actual price for more expensive items. If you find the lost item(s) within 3 months, we can refund the payment, less an administrative charge of £10.00 per item. We do not refund if a replacement copy has already been accepted.
- Contact the library immediately to report a lost or stolen London Met ID card.
- If you do not have your ID card with you.
- If you have reached the maximum loan limit.
- If an item on loan to you has been invoiced.
- If the item has been reserved by another user.
- If you owe £20 or more in library charges.
- If your account has been blocked.
If you still have difficulties borrowing or renewing please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If someone has reserved a book you have on loan, you will have to return it at the due date.
If you are going away, it is best to return your books before you go.