Borrow, return and renew
The Libraries will re-open on Monday 5 October. Library fines will not apply during the closure period. Items automatically renew unless reserved, overdue or your account has been blocked.
Click and collect starting 5 October
What is Click and collect?
Click and collect is a new service starting on 5 October which allows London Met students and staff to request books via the online catalogue and, once notified, come in to collect the physical books. Library staff will be collecting the books on your behalf whilst the shelves are closed off due to the risk of transmission of the virus.
What books are included in this click and collect service?
All currently loanable books e.g items that you can borrow. This will be indicated on the library catalogue.
When can I borrow a book?
From Monday 5 October you will be able to request items via the catalogue by making a reservation. We will email you when the books are ready for you to collect. Your request will only be processed when library staff are on site so you must order them in advance.
How will I know my reservation is ready to collect?
You will receive an email when ready for collection.
What time can I come and collect my books?
Items can be collected Monday - Friday between 12.00-14.30 only. Please do not come to the Library to collect your books unless you have received an email from us.
When collecting items please adhere to social distancing guidelines. Please wear a face-covering in the Library when collecting items from our click and collect service. If you are experiencing any symptoms associated with coronavirus, please do not come to the University.
How many books can I reserve?
You can reserve up to six books at once. The normal loan allowances apply.
How long will I have to collect my books from when I receive confirmation?
We will keep your books ready for you to collect for one week.
How long can I keep my books?
Normal loan periods apply. They will be automatically renewed for you unless reserved by another reader so please keep an eye on your emails from the library.
How do I return my items?
From 5th October, you can return your items between 09:00 and 17:45 Monday to Friday at both libraries by using the return bins at the entrance to the Learning Centre at Holloway Campus and the entrance to Calcutta House, Aldgate Campus.
What if I have problems reserving a book or collecting my item?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further advice or use library chat between 09:00 and 19:00 Monday to Friday and weekends 13:00 to 17:00 from Saturday 17 October.
- 16 items
Postgraduates and staff
- 20 items
Items that cannot be taken out of the library include journals or newspapers, items marked as Reference Only and PhD theses.
Teaching practice and Reading for Pleasure books can be taken in addition to your loan allowance.
Apart from a book loan allowance you also have access to 1000s of e-books.
The items on loan to you automatically renew before the due date and you will be sent an email indicating when they are due back.
Items will not automatically renew if one of the following applies:
- They have been requested by someone else (reserved)
- The item is already overdue
- Your account is blocked because you have a very overdue item issued to you
- Your fine has reached £20
- They have been renewed 99 times
You can check your loans and renew yourself via the library catalogue.
Please return reserved items immediately to avoid fines.
Fines are charged for the late return of 1 week loan, 3 day loan and Inter-Library Loans if not automatically renewed.
All London Met students pay fines online via Epayments.
3 day loan
£2.00 per day
1 week loan
£1.00 per day
3 week loan
£2.00 per day
£1.00 per day
Frequently asked questions
- Check your library record regularly.
- Check your email regularly.
- If an item has been reserved by another borrower it must be returned by the due date.
- If you have been ill and unable to renew your books online, the fines will be waived on production of a medical certificate covering the period of the fines.
- We will accept a replacement copy of lost, stolen or destroyed items. This needs to be approved by the appropriate Academic Liaison Librarian. Contact your Academic Liaison Librarian before buying books.
- The replacement copy must be the same title as the one on your loan record.
- It must be a new copy.
- We only accept the latest edition of the title.
- Where items are out of print, we may accept a second hand copy. Please discuss with your Academic Liaison Librarian before you purchase.
- If you are not able to provide a replacement copy you will be charged a minimum fee of £50.00 per item, but the charge may be higher as we charge actual price for more expensive items. If you find the lost item(s) within 3 months, we can refund the payment, less an administrative charge of £10.00 per item. We do not refund if a replacement copy has already been accepted.
- Contact the library immediately to report a lost or stolen London Met ID card.
- If you do not have your ID card with you.
- If you have reached the maximum loan limit.
- If an item on loan to you has been invoiced.
- If the item has been reserved by another user.
- If you owe £20 or more in library charges.
- If your account has been blocked.
If you still have difficulties borrowing or renewing please email email@example.com.
If someone has reserved a book you have on loan, you will have to return it at the due date.
If you are going away, it is best to return your books before you go.