Borrow, return and renew
To borrow or return items use the Self-Service machines in the Library.
To borrow, you will need your ID card.
Please remember to return or renew your loans by the due date as fines may apply if the item becomes overdue. This can also apply if the item is reserved and you were unable to renew.
- Main collection 14
- Short loan (24 hours) 2
Postgraduates and staff
- Main collection 18
- Short loan (24 hours) 2
Items that cannot be taken out of the library include journals or newspapers, items marked as Reference Only and PhD theses.
Apart from a book loan allowance you also have access to 1000s of e-books.
Most items can be renewed by:
- Logging into your library account and updating your loans;
- In person at the library information desk or at a self-service machine or by phone.
Renewal reminders are emailed 2 days before books become overdue.
- It is the user’s responsibility to ensure that loans are renewed or returned on time. This applies during term time and vacations;
- On renewing, check that all items have been renewed. You will be unable to renew reserved items so please return.
Fines are charged for the late return of 1 week loan, short loan items and Inter-Library Loans.
All LondonMet students pay fines online via Epayments.
1 week loan
50p per day - renewable online
3 week loan
No charges - renewable online
Short Loans - 24 Hour Loans / Counter Loans / Offprints
50p per hour - not renewable online
£1.00 per day - not renewable online
Frequently asked questions
- Check your library record regularly.
- Check your email regularly. A courtesy reminder will be sent to your email address 2 days before your books are due back. Failure to receive the reminder does not mean that a fine can be waived.
- If an item has been reserved by another borrower it must be returned by the due date.
- If you have been ill and unable to renew your books online, the fines will be waived on production of a medical certificate covering the period of the fines.
- You will not be able to renew any item using self-service machines or the library catalogue if your items are more than 7 days overdue.
- We will accept a replacement copy of lost, stolen or destroyed items. This needs to be approved by the appropriate Academic Liaison Librarian. Contact your Academic Liaison Librarian before buying books.
- The replacement copy must be the same title as the one on your loan record.
- It must be a new copy.
- We only accept the latest edition of the title.
- Where items are out of print, we may accept a second hand copy. Please discuss with your Academic Liaison Librarian before you purchase.
- If you are not able to provide a replacement copy you will be charged a minimum fee of £50.00 per item, but the charge may be higher as we charge actual price for more expensive items. If you find the lost item(s) within 3 months, we can refund the payment, less an administrative charge of £10.00 per item. We do not refund if a replacement copy has already been accepted.
- Contact the library immediately to report a lost or stolen London Met ID card.
- If you do not have your ID card with you.
- If you have reached the maximum loan limit.
- If the item you have on loan is more than 7 days overdue.
- If an item on loan to you has been invoiced.
- If the item has been reserved by another user.
- If you owe £20 or more in library charges.
- If a reserved item is more than 7 days overdue then your account will be blocked and you will not be able to renew any items on loan to you.
If you still have difficulties borrowing or renewing please email email@example.com.