Company and industry information
Library Services' resources can provide you with a range of information on companies and industries. Using these materials can help you research your career path and provide you with information on specific companies and the industries. By researching your potential future employers you will not only be preparing yourself for job applications and interviews, you will also be developing your commercial awareness.
Commercial awareness is an essential graduate skill, particularly for studies going into the business sector. Some graduate recruiters have identified that commercial awareness is a skill often lacking in graduates applying for jobs. Therefore, improving your knowledge in this area could give you the edge over other candidates.
Key databases for locating company information
The key databases that provide company and industry information are listed here. Short videos demonstrating how to locate relevant information on these databases can be found below.
Major industry-level source of current and historical global data on markets, economic indicators, companies, equities and news.
The Bloomberg Suite is located in Hollowy Road campus, Tower Building and can be found on the mezzanine area, room T1-20.
Students who require access need to ask their lecturer to contact IT via (email@example.com).
Add Bloomberg Certification to your skillset with Bloomberg Market Concepts (BMC). This is an 8 hour self-paced e-learning course.
- Business Source Complete
Business Source Complete provides UK and international company and industry profiles. Company profiles also include a company SWOT analysis
Mintel provides market research reports that include company information in the context of a particular industry sector.
Video guide to Mintel
Passport provides UK and global company reports with the respective industry sector and region in which the company operates.
Video guide to Passport
Tools for researching companies
- Company Recipe Sheet
The job you are applying for will determine the kind of information you will need to research on a company. However, this recipe sheet provides a basic template for you to start recording company information.
- PESTLE analysis
The PESTLE analysis is a simple tool which can be used to effectively identify key external factors that may affect a company or organisation:
- Report content on Library Services databases
This outlines the content of particular reports available on Library Services databases.
Further business and company information
Guardian business news
- Markets nervous as Brent crude oil falls below $45
- Imagination puts itself up for sale amid Apple dispute
- George Clooney sells his tequila company for up to $1bn
- British farmers warn loss of EU workers will see strawberry prices soar
- Google and Facebook 'will lose millions in ads over extremism fears'
The Independent business news
- Brexit: will.i.am says artificial intelligence will be more disruptive to UK tech than EU withdrawal
- Apple dispute forces UK hardware form to put itself up for sale
- Donald Trump claims attaching solar panels to Mexico border wall will ensure fortification 'pays for itself'
- Amazon to follow Whole Foods acquisition by building fashion empire as expansion continues
- Brexit: Japanese bank Nomura chooses Frankfurt for EU headquarters after UK's withdrawal