Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

According to the guidelines set out by the European Commission, only full-time students are eligible to take part. If your personal and academic criteria allow you to continue your degree programme full-time during the period of the placement (to find out you will have to consult your course coordinator), you may be able to participate in the Erasmus exchange programme.

It will depend on whether London Met has a link with a host university for at least one of your subject areas. For example, if you are studying computing and business, London Met only has Erasmus links for business. This means that you may be able to spend one-semester studying business overseas and then complete the computing modules at London Met upon your return. It is important for you to note that it is not always possible to organise your London Met course requirements to fit in with the Erasmus programme due to year-long modules. It is recommended that you consult your course coordinator to see whether you can fit the programme into your degree.

If London Met has links in both of your subject areas at different host universities, then you may consider spending one semester at one institution to study one subject, followed by another semester at the second institution studying the other subject, for those wishing to spend a full academic year abroad. This may involve combining overseas exchange, which has non subject-specific links, with an Erasmus semester.

While abroad, you are required to comply with the examination procedures set by the host institution. This may involve written papers and /or oral examinations. The language of the examination will be the one of tuition at the host institution. In general, you will not have to pass an exam a second time at your home university to receive academic recognition for it. However, if you fail to achieve enough credit from your time abroad you will have to take extra modules at London Met upon your return in order to make up the shortfall.

The host university will issue you an academic transcript in recognition of your study during your period abroad, usually with an ECTS grade attached. ECTS stands for "European Credit Transfer System". It is an arrangement between European educational institutions which makes it possible for the grades you received at your host university to be translated into equivalent UK recognised grades. For further information on how the grades are translated, please consult the Outgoing Erasmus guide. 30 ECTS credits will be required in order to progress to the next semester (equivalent to 60 London Met credits). Therefore, 60 ECTS should have been awarded by the host university at the end of a year abroad if all modules were passed.

The translation of ECTS grades into London Met percentages is set and is not negotiable. Please be aware of the grade transfer system before applying for the Erasmus programme as, if attaining high marks is your primary goal then an Erasmus semester might not be suitable for you.

Speaking, reading and writing English is a major asset but it can also be a serious disadvantage if that is the only language you are able to speak. Your peer group in other European countries can increasingly speak English fluently as well as their mother tongue and frequently at least one other European language. The ability to work in another language will not only enhance your enjoyment of living and working in another country but also enhance your employability. For some links, a good prior knowledge, such as A-level or AS-level, of the language is required. However, not all links require fluency. Many universities provide facilities for you to start learning a language and some host universities teach certain subjects in English. Do not let the lack of a language deter you, however, be realistic about your ability to manage studying in another language!

The Study Abroad Office can offer online language training for certain languages and, if you will be studying in a language other than English or your native tongue, we will ask you to take a test at the beginning and end of your study abroad period to measure your progress in the language.

Home/EU students spending a year abroad on Erasmus+ benefit from reduced tuition fees payable to London Met. No tuition is paid to the host university. If you spend one semester abroad then you pay your normal amount of tuition to London Met.

During your period of study ar the host university, you will need to pay for your accommodation, general living costs, books and entertainment. While in some countries this may be more expensive than at home, in other countries the strength of the UK pound makes it very affordable for you to live/study. You are advised to do some research on the local living costs of the country so you can budget accordingly.

During your study period you will continue to be eligible to receive any student grant or loan to which you are normally entitled, from national or other sources, and you may also obtain an Erasmus student grant. Student Finance England also offers a travel grant to students studying abroad as part of their degree to help with flights, visas and local transport. However, the first £303 of your expenses are not payable.

You may be eligible to receive an Erasmus grant, which contributes towards the extra costs arising from studying abroad, but it will not cover all normal student living expenses and it is not automatic. Erasmus grants in the UK are paid via your home institution, which receives an allocation from the UK Erasmus governing organisation (currently the British Council) for distribution to students. It must be remembered that as the grant is cash limited there may be situations in which you will not receive an Erasmus grant. For criteria and restrictions, please ask the Study Abroad Office. Erasmus grants (if awarded) are paid in addition to the standard grant/loan for those students receiving one. It is rare that students do not receive the full allowable amount though.

To be eligible you must:

◾be registered as a full-time student at a UK Institution of Higher Education which holds an Erasmus charter;
◾spend an approved study period of between 3 to 12 months at an institution in another EU, EEA or "partner" country;
◾not have received a previous Erasmus/Comenius/British Council Teaching Assistant grant.

However, satisfying these criteria does not guarantee that you will receive a grant and because the grants are allocated on an annual basis your university will not be able to give you any guarantee in advance. The amount you receive will depend on how many students participate in the Erasmus+ programme in the same year as you. We are allocated a certain amount of money and that is divided up among students. For the current year's amounts, according to the destination country, please see the Outgoing Erasmus guide available in the main section of this page. The grant is likely to be in the region of €300 - €400 per month of study.

The Erasmus grant is paid in two instalments: London Met aims to make the first payment (around 70% of the total) within the first month of the commencement of your placement. Payment, however, is dependant on how efficiently you return all related Erasmus documentation upon arrival at your host university. The grant will be paid into the bank account nominated on your grant contract. The remainder of the grant owed will be payable after the Certificate of Departure and Student Reports have been completed and returned to the Study Abroad Office / British Council.

Grant payments are worked out using your semester dates abroad. No grant will be paid for any duration before the start of the semester or after the end of it, including resits.


It depends on what department you are from and what subject you are studying. London Metropolitan University has agreements with a large number of European universities in different subject areas. To find out with which universities we have links with, please refer to the "University Partners" section. You can only use the links in the stipulated subject areas. Please note that there are a set number of places per partner each year and once they are used we cannot send any further students to that institution. You can, however, combine two universities and spend a semester at each.

In some cases, the host university will assist you in finding accommodation. When the host university sends an information pack to you, it should include information and/or an application form regarding accommodation. Make sure you fill it in and return it to them before the deadline - as places get booked up early and very quickly - and they will do the best they can in order to help you to find a place to live. Some hosts do not have thei own accommodation and leave it to you to find private rentals in the city. Please do not send any money overseas until you have physically seen the accommodation and know for sure that the offer of accommodation is genuine. It is now a common scam to rip off students new to a city by pretending to have a room to let out.

It is up to you whether you give up your rented accommodation or rent it to friends while you are on your placement. Unfortunately, the university does not provide help with subletting your accommodation. However, if you cannot find candidates to take your place, the Accommodation Office in Student Services might be able to help.

The Study Abroad Office will organise for you to be covered by the university insurance policy; the coverage is for emergencies while abroad.

Some host universities also require that you have proof of insurance before you enrol. Turkish universities have very strict regulations with regard to insurance and require that you have a policy that is written in / translated into Turkish and has your name on it. It is therefore easier to purchase the university's insurance so your enrolment is not delayed. This is one of the extra costs that your Erasmus grant is intended to cover.

chat loading...