Visitors and alumni
The services available to visitors are:
- Access to most print collections.
- Access to the library catalogue which holds information about Library stock and which is freely available via the web.
- Walk-In Access to a limited number of electronic resources such as ejournals and databases, where our licensing agreements allow. Access is provided on dedicated terminals in our 2 libraries.
- Guest wireless access accounts for laptops or devices will be provided by the library as there is no general access to IT facilities for visitors.
- Photocopying and printing.
- Limited borrowing rights for some visitor categories.
We welcome visitors with the designations below:
- Visiting Professors - if you are affiliated to the University for a minimum of 6 months some Library services are available to you. You may borrow up to four print items from the main collection.
- Retired Staff - you may join the Library as an Alumnus / Alumna for reference only access. You can apply for Alumni Borrowing Membership for a small charge.
- Emeritus - Some Library services are available to former staff who are assigned Emeritus status by the University. You may borrow up to four print items from the main collection
- Contact email@example.com for further information.
- Staff and researchers at institutions in London and the south-east who are not SCONUL members can use our libraries via the M25 Scheme.
- Alumni ID card will give you reference access to the library.
- Application form and details
- Paying a fee allows Alumni members to borrow books.
- Your London Metropolitan University ID card gives access to all our buildings.
- Services for partnerships students.
- If you have a current SCONUL Access card or approval email from your home institution you may use our libraries. There is no general access to IT facilities but if you have registered for Eduroam at your home university, you should be able to access the internet using the Eduroam wi-fi system.
- If you are studying part time, distance learning or on a postgraduate course, you may be eligible to borrow up to 4 items from our libraries.
- Sconul summer vacation access allows students and staff from UK universities to use our libraries by showing a valid University ID card during the summer vacation. You do not need to be a SCONUL access scheme member.
General public and University students and staff from non SCONUL membership institutions
- Reference access only
- A membership fee is payable :
1 year - £150 3 months - £50 1 month - £25 1 week - £12 1 day - £7
- To apply please complete an application form. Provide proof of identity and address (e.g. utility bill, bank statement, rent book) and pay a membership fee (cash payments only).
- You will need to provide a passport sized photo for applications 1 week and over.
- Then email the completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students and staff from UK universities who are not SCONUL members but wish to use our libraries during the summer vacation can do so by showing a valid University ID card. No membership fee applies. SCONUL summer access.
Please note that access to London Met libraries is at the discretion of the Senior Library Assistant or Library Manager.
Frequently asked questions
Our CLA licence does not cover library users who are not members of the University. To enable such users to make copies for commercial purposes, the CLA has introduced a Library Licence Scheme.
External users are asked to complete a CLA form available from the Library staff and pay a fee of £14.76 (incl. VAT) to the librarian, which we will then forward to the CLA. The form contains details about what is being copied and assists the CLA to distribute the money received to authors, visual artists or publishers. Please retain the photocopy (which is also your VAT receipt).
- If you are an Alumni or a visitor to the University wishing to photocopy or print, you can create a guest account online. Click on "I do not have an account yet, I would like to create one". Follow the onscreen instructions and you will be given a unique username and password
All visitors are subject to library rules and regulations. The Library reserves the right to withdraw the service where users are in breach of the Library regulations.
- All visitors must carry valid ID or a day pass.
- Library ID cards are for personal use only.
- All visitors and applicants must be age of 18 or over.