Career and employability advice
Our Careers and EmployabilityTeam is here to help you develop the knowledge, skills and experience to become confident about making informed decisions to build a rewarding career.
Services are available to current students and to recent graduates (up to three years following graduation) and include:
In the portal you will find a range of video, audio and tutorial resources to support you in your job search and career planning. You can also access advice from employers across different sectors about what they look for in applicants and how best to make a positive impression. Specifically you will find help with:
- Researching employers and searching for opportunities
- Creating a CV or completing an application form
- Practicing interview techniques and online selection tests
- Identifying your skills and developing self-awareness
In addition you can access:
1-1 support from a Careers Consultant: Quick Queries & Guidance Interviews
These are 20-minute sessions with a Careers Consultant designed to address specific issues such as help with your CV or an application form for example.
Slots are offered at Holloway Student Hub, Aldgate Student Hub and Moorgate Student Hub.
Locations and times (vacation times to begin week commencing June 5th 2017):
Holloway Student Hub, Tower Building TM1-89
Term time: 13:00 to 15:00, Monday - Friday
Vacation: 13:00 to 15:00, Monday, Wednesday and Friday
Aldgate Student Hub, Calcutta House CMGN-24
Term time: 13:00 to 15:00, Tuesday and Thursday
Vacation: 13:00 to 15:00, Wednesday only
Moorgate Student Hub, Moorgate MG3-03,
Term time: 14:00 to 16:00, Monday - Friday
Vacation: 14:00 to 16:00, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
Booking a Quick Queries session:
Bookings can be made in advance, but only for slots within the current week. Contact:
Moorgate Student Hub, Moorgate MG3-03:
Tel: 020 7320 1500
Holloway Student Hub, Tower Building TM1-89:
Tel: 020 7133 4509
Aldgate Student Hub, Calcutta House CMGN-24:
Tel: 020 7320 4807
Careers and Employability team, Holloway:
Tel: 020 7133 4033
Careers and Employability team, Moorgate:
Tel: 020 7320 2380
Guidance Interviews are slightly longer (lasting approximately 30 minutes) and can be used to address a variety of issues, for example:
- Identifying and developing skills
- Exploring different career areas which might be of interest
- Researching employers and sectors
- Searching for work or placement opportunities
- Practicing interview techniques
Guidance Interviews can be booked via the Careers and Employability team numbers shown above.
Workshops and Events
The team organise regular workshops on topics including Job Search, Networking, Creating a CV, Using Linkedin, Completing Applications and Interview Techniques. Each term there are also opportunities to attend skills workshops where you can develop specific employment related skills such as team working or time management. In addition, we organise employer led events and presentations. To find out more about what is on offer and to book a place visit our Eventbrite page.
Career Mentoring Programmes
These run throughout each academic year and offer students the opportunity to be matched to experienced professionals across a variety of sectors. The schemes allow you to extend your knowledge of your chosen sector, to gain a greater understanding of the roles available, to build your confidence and to extend your professional network.
The Career Mentoring Programme matches current students with professional mentors. The mentors come from a range of subject disciplines and will have over three years professional experience in their sector. The scheme runs for approximately 5 months and it is expected that mentors and students will have a minimum of five meetings.
If you are a current London Met student and would like to be mentored, please complete the application form.
If you are a professional and are interested in sharing your professional experience and knowledge with a current student, complete the mentor application form.
If you would like further information on these programmes please email the mentoring team: firstname.lastname@example.org
Employability Award 2017/18
The London Met Employability Award 2017/18
Are you taking a Work Related Learning Module this year? If so, you can use your accredited work experience towards the London Met Employability Award. You can complete the Award activities anytime between October 2017 and April 2018 and on completion you will gain extra recognition on your degree transcript.
Why complete the London Met Employability Award?
The Award is designed to enhance your employability skills and get you ready for the graduate job market. Some previous Award students have highlighted below what they have gained from taking part:
“I discovered the Employability Award while I was attending one of the workshops on Leadership and I decided that this was a great opportunity for me to continue my professional development and use their support in order to improve my CV and my LinkedIn profile.”
“Prior to taking the Award, I wasn't too sure what to expect, however after the first session I soon realised how this was a fantastic way for me to learn more about how to access different services to increase my chances of employment”
“Learning about different ways to search for jobs as well as improving my CV and my LinkedIn profile was the most useful part of the Employability Award as I can see how my confidence has increased as a result on completing the Award”
What do I have to do?
To gain the Award, you will need to complete the following elements:
- Work Experience: Successful completion of your Work Related module (minimum 70 hours).
- A “Skills Audit” at the start and end of the Award: this consists of a series of statements through which you record your confidence across a range of skill areas. By completing this task at both the beginning and end of the programme, you will be able to measure your progress over the period of the Award.
- Attend 3 Careers Guidance Sessions: These can be booked with one of our Careers Consultants. Use this time to discuss career planning, develop your CV, complete application forms for graduate jobs, access help with interviews or anything other career related questions you may have.
- Attend 4 Careers Workshops or Events: You can select from a wide selection of workshops and events throughout the year which are bookable via Eventbrite. These include the Fast Forward Festival activities.
- Additional School based or external workshops/events: If you would like other employability related events and activities that you attend to be counted towards your Award please email event details for approval to our dedicated email - email@example.com. We will then send you a verification form which when completed will confirm that you have attended the event in question.
- Produce and submit a work ready CV and LinkedIn Profile: We run workshops throughout the academic year to help you with these tasks, and you can seek individual support during your careers guidance sessions. Your updated CV can reflect the skills/knowledge developed through your Work Related Learning.
Next Steps? If you would like to take part, then...
Step 1 -
Complete the start of Award Skills Audit. Once you have submitted your Audit we will know that you have started your EA Journey and will keep in touch with you via email.
Step 2 -
Book your first appointment with one of our Careers Consultants and use this time to discuss your next steps. Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone:
Moorgate: 020 7320 2380 Holloway: 020 7133 4033
Step 3 -
Browse our Eventbrite page and book for workshops and events - we add events regularly throughout the year so keep checking to see what is on offer.
If you have any questions, we are happy to help. Use our dedicated email address email@example.com
Way to Win 2017, Presentations
London Met Graduate Internship Scheme 2017/18
Applications have now closed for this year. We will reopen in summer 2018.
If you have any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Careers Blog: information on opportunities and events
For the latest news on Careers and Employability service activities, events and opportunities please follow our blog.
For more details of service policies and our committment to support you please see our Careers Vision Statement and Service Guidelines.
The Careers and Employability team is committed to providing a quality service to all its clients and if you have a disability and require assistance to access any of our services we are happy to discuss alternative arrangements with you. Please contact us at: email@example.com.
Contact us for more information on developing knowledge, skills and experience to become confident about making informed decisions to build a rewarding career.