Professional associations, reference sources, specialist libraries and websites
- British Standards Institution
- Chartered Society of Designers
- Crafts Council
- Design Council
- Design Research Society
- Association of Illustrators
- Association of Master Upholsterers and Soft Furnishers
- British Furniture Manufacturers
- FIRA (Furniture Industry Research Association)
- The Textile Institute
- Timber Trade Federation
- National Art Library, Victoria and Albert Museum.
Decorative arts and craft, and design history. Subject areas covered reflect the museum’s collections. Open to the general public – no appointment necessary.
- British Museum Libraries and Archives
Subject areas covered reflect the museum’s collections such as decorative arts and crafts. Access by appointment only.
- BSI Members Reading Room
British Standards. Students (with proof of student status) can consult British Standards free of charge in the BSI Members Reading Room in Chiswick. (Advance notice required - 48 hours).
- Dana Research Centre and Library, Science Museum
Technology, design history, product design. Open to the general public – no appointment necessary.
- Cartoon Museum Library.
6000 books on cartoons and comics. Access by appointment only.
- Goldsmiths Company Library
Jewellery. Access by appointment only.
- Wallace Collection Library and Archives
17th and 18th century French decorative art, sculpture, ceramics and furniture. Access is by appointment only.
Sconul Access Libraries
Some university libraries require you to have a Sconul Access card for admittance to use their libraries for reference or borrowing depending on whether you are a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate or part-time student. All of these libraries hold publications relevant to this subject area. Search the library catalogues of individual libraries to find out what resources are available.
- Brunel University Library
Technology, design principles, product design.
- Goldsmiths University Library
Design, art and visual cultures, cultural studies.
- Greenwich University Library
Design, innovation and entrepreneurship, graphic and digital design.
- Kingston University Library
Fashion, furniture and product design, graphic design.
- Middlesex University Library
Graphic design, fashion communication and styling, fashion and textiles, product design, illustration.
- University of the Arts London Libraries
(Central Saint Martins, London College of Fashion, London College of Communication, Chelsea College of Arts, Camberwell College of Arts, Wimbledon College of Arts). Fashion, jewellery, furniture and product design, textile design, graphic design and illustration.
- University of West London Library
Visual communication, graphic design and illustration, fashion and textiles.
- University of Westminster Library
Graphic communication, fashion design, illustration and visual communication.
- Archives Hub
Archives are a good source of primary material. Find out if there is an archive on your research area, where it is, and how to access it.
- BSI Knowledge Centre and Shop
Find information on British Standards.
- Design Museum Designers
Provides profiles of the leading designers.
- How Products Are Made
This online encyclopaedia covers a wide of products.
History of furniture.
The Museum of Design in Plastics is based in Brighton but the collections can be searched online.
- Trendhunter features ULITA which is an Archive of International Textiles.