Professional associations, reference sources, specialist libraries and websites
Aviation professional associations
- ACI (Airports Council International)
Global trade representative of the world’s airports, represents airports interests with Governments and international organisations such as ICAO, develops standards, policies and recommended practices for airports and provides information and training opportunities to raise standards around the world. They also provide statistics.
- Airlines for America - A4A
ATA represents principal US Airlines.
- British Airline Pilots Association
BALPA is a flight crew association. The website includes information on becoming a pilot.
- British Women Pilots Association
BWPA was set up to help women participate in aviation. Includes a careers section.
- CAA The UK Civil Aviation Authority
CAA is the UK's specialist aviation regulator. Website includes information on aviation legislation, economic and safety regulations and a link to the CAA Library.
- EASA - European Aviation Safety Agency
EASA promotes common standards of safety and environmental protection in civil aviation in Europe and worldwide. Centrepiece of a new regulatory system for the single European market in the aviation industry.
- FAA - The Federal Aviation Administration
US aviation regulator founded with the mission to provide the safest, most efficient aerospace system in the world.
- Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators
GAPAN was established in order to represent pilot and navigator interests within all areas of aviation.
- International Civil Aviation Organization
ICAO is a United Nations body responsible for international rules and standards governing civil aviation. Covers: standardisation, procedures, rules of the air and much more.
- Joint Aviation Authority
JAA is an associated body representing the civil aviation regulatory authorities from a number of European States. This site offers a strong focus on safety regulations and standards.
- Royal Aeronautical Society
The RAeS website includes information on careers, events and professional standards. Includes link to the RAeS Library.
- Sustainable Aviation
Brings together main players from UK airlines, airports, manufacturers and air navigation service providers. Tracks work undertaken by signatories to provide key data and information on strategy.
Professional organisations for Management and HRM
- Confederation of British Industry
CBI is a lobbying organisation for UK business on national and international issues. They work with the UK government, international legislators and policy-makers to help UK businesses compete effectively.
- Chartered Management Institute
CMI aims to encourage and support the lifelong development of managers and to raise the level of competence and qualification of management.
- Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
CIPD is the professional body for those involved in the management and development of people. See particularly Resources section
- Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
DBEIS is the Government department responsible for trade, business, employees, consumers, science and energy.
- EEF (Engineering Employers Federation)
EEF has a membership of 6,000 manufacturing, engineering and technology-based businesses and represents the interests of manufacturing at all levels of government.
- Market Research Society
MRS is the world's largest association representing providers and users of market, social, and opinion research, and business intelligence. It is the official awarding body in the UK for professional qualifications in market research.
Web resources for Management and HRM
- ACAS [Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service]
- Advertising Association
- Advertising Standards Authority
- Association for Project Management
- Audit Commission
- BARB (Broadcasters' Audience Research Board)
- BCS Chartered Institute for IT
- Best Management Practice
- British Quality Foundation Site
- Business Essentials on the Web
- Business Information Resources
Links to business resources websites
Free career help, business training, organizational development
- The Case Centre
Search for free cases
- CAF (Charities Aid Foundation)
- The Case Centre
Search for free cases
- CBR (Centre for Business Research Publications)
- Charity Commission
- Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD)
Members of the CIPD can use the Business & Resource Centre. Non-members are able to visit but must pay a fee. For more details, please see:
The two journals of the CIPD, People Management and Human Resource Management Journal, are both available via London Met libraries.
- Chartered Quality Institute
- Competition and Markets Authority
- CSR Europe
European Business Network for Corporate Social Responsibility
- Department for Culture, Media and Sport (Lottery Awards)
- Digital Agenda for Europe
- Doing Business from the World Bank
- EurWORK: European Observatory of Working Life
- Eurofound: European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions
- European Foundation for Quality Management
Promoting organisational excellence and innovation.
- European Union
Global business resources
- HBR Blog Network
Particularly strong on leadership.
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
- Home Office
- Industrial Law Society
- Information Age
Focus on Information Technology but useful for Management and Human Resource examples.
- International Labour Organization
- International Monetary Fund
Publications website including policy and working papers.
- JISC Risk Management Infokit
London Business School produce a regular series of working papers on a number of areas.
- London School of Economics Blogs and Videos
- Low Pay Commission
- Migration Data Hub
Statistics on migration. Choose the country of your choice to see statistics on number of migrants, nationality of migrants etc.
Official UK labour market statistics for local and national areas.
- OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development)
Search for topics, countries or data.
- OECD Employment Database
Contains a number of datasets describing the labour market, that are produced by the OECD. It covers labour market outcomes, the quality of jobs and labour market policies / institutions. Specific indicators covered include: unemployment duration, discouraged workers, working time, temporary employment, union membership etc. Each indicator links to one or more areas of relevant OECD data.
Links to Working Papers in Business.
- People 1st
Focus on hospitality, tourism, travel, passenger transport and retail industries to develop staff and performance.
- Project Smart
Project Management articles and other resources.
- Ron Rosenhead
Project management skills.
- Social Sciences Research Network
Links to research papers in Corporate Governance, Innovations, Leadership, Management and Marketing. Also includes links to jobs, forthcoming conferences etc.
- Society for Human Resource Management
Resources for HR professionals.
- Trade Union Congress Library Collections
There is a special collection of trade union material, for reference only.
- UK WON
UK work and organisation, focuses on workplace innovation.
- United Nations Economic Commission for Europe
Comparable data for Europe, North America and Central Asia. Covers economics, transport, gender and forestry, with specific datasets covering topics such as industrial production, biological diversity, work-life balance and transport.
- The Work Foundation (at Lancaster University)
- World Bank e-Library
One of the most comprehensive collections in the area of social and economic development. It is an electronic portal to the World Bank’s full-text collection of final, peer-reviewed versions of books, reports, journal articles and working papers. It brings together, in a fully-indexed and cross-searchable database, and in PDF format, over 6000 titles published by the World Bank since 2000, as well as every new title as it becomes available in print. Useful for statistics too.