Frequently asked questions
How can I avoid paying fines?
- Check your library record regularly.
- Check your email regularly. A courtesy reminder will be sent to your email address 2 days before your books are due back. Failure to receive the reminder does not mean that a fine can be waived.
- If an item has been reserved by another borrower it must be returned by the due date.
- If you have been ill and unable to renew your books online, the fines will be waived on production of a medical certificate covering the period of the fines.
- You will not be able to renew any item using self-service machines or the library catalogue if your items are more than 7 days overdue.
How can I pay fines or for a lost item?
Fines can be paid:
- In person at the library. Payment can be made by cash only. Cheques are no longer accepted.
What can I do if my library loans are lost, stolen or destroyed?
- We will accept a replacement copy of lost, stolen or destroyed items. This needs to be approved by the appropriate Academic Liaison Librarian. Contact your Academic Liaison Librarian before buying books.
- The replacement copy must be the same title as the one on your loan record.
- It must be a new copy.
- We only accept the latest edition of the title.
- Where items are out of print, we may accept a second hand copy. Please discuss with your Academic Liaison Librarian before you purchase.
- If you are not able to provide a replacement copy you will be charged a minimum fee of £50.00 per item, but the charge may be higher as we charge actual price for more expensive items. If you find the lost item(s) within 3 months, we can refund the payment, less an administrative charge of £10.00 per item. We do not refund if a replacement copy has already been accepted.
What happens if I lose my university ID card and I have books out?
- Contact the library immediately to report a lost or stolen London Met ID card.
Why can't I borrow or renew?
- If you do not have your ID card with you.
- If you have reached the maximum loan limit.
- If the item you have on loan is more than 7 days overdue.
- If an item on loan to you has been invoiced.
- If the item has been reserved by another user.
- If you owe £20 or more in library charges.
- If a reserved item is more than 7 days overdue then your account will be blocked and you will not be able to renew any items on loan to you.
If you still have difficulties borrowing or renewing please email email@example.com.